WW2 European towns?

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Jimmy

WW2 European towns?

Post by Jimmy » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:49 pm

Hello folks

I am about to start my scenery collection for a WW2 European setting, I really enjoy scenery and have plenty of skill for the task, but I am coming up short on reference material.

If anyone could recommend any good resources for images and information about towns, buildings and country side of that era across Europe that would be great.

I doubt Im going to implement everything down the correct style of plant pots, But having references for different road surfaces across rural villages, towns and cities would be a cool way to add a lot of character and variety.

Location: France and Germany, I would like to be more specific but I am still learning when it comes to the history.Please let me know of any Iconic locations you think I should look into?

Things im particularly interested in are:
  • Roads
  • Pavements
  • Fences
  • Walls
  • building colours
  • road signs

Thank you very much for reading.
Last edited by Jimmy on Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kustenjaeger

Re: WW2 European towns?

Post by Kustenjaeger » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:58 pm

Greetings

Given the sometimes significant differences between regions, do you have a preference for a general location? Are you talking about Western Europe - if so whereabouts? If Eastern Europe/Russia again whereabouts?

Regards

Edward

Jimmy

Post by Jimmy » Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:29 pm

Very good point.

I would say France and Germany, as far as any particular part of those countries I Have not the Knowledge to really say and would be very happy for some suggestions for iconic locations you think I should look into.

I will edit my post to add this in, cheers.

Tijnemanske

Post by Tijnemanske » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:41 pm

For my 6mm Hex terrain I got a lot of inspiration from the following website.

https://acidcow.com/pics/page,1,4,3772- ... _pics.html

It features pictures taken in 1944 and in more recent times, both of the same location and with the same perspective

gebhk

Post by gebhk » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:02 pm

After the Battle magazine, I would suggest is a must. A lot of it is now available online.

Once you have identified placenames that you are interested in, the best source is often local historical societies and their websites. You may need to learn some basic language to get the best out of them.

A more hit-and-miss approach is to put the name of the place and some dates into your search engine and look for pictures.