Cleaning oxidised figures

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Counterpane

Cleaning oxidised figures

Post by Counterpane » Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:33 pm

My mother-in-law gave me this 54mm figure recently. It was painted by a (now deceased) friend of hers many years ago and it clearly means a lot to her.

Unfortunately, the metal is severely oxidised. I think I'm going to have to repaint it if it's to survive for much longer.

Does anyone have any tips for stripping paint and oxide from white metal figures without losing detail? I'm guessing this one is old enough to have a significant quantity of lead in it.

Richard

Tijnemanske

Re: Cleaning oxidised figures

Post by Tijnemanske » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:35 pm

I would suggest using paint thinner... Use an old brush or toothbrush, dip it in thinner and gently scrub off the paint. If the paint proves to be resistant to this treatment, try letting the model soak in a container filled with thinner...

Mind, I have never cleaned something this old... Just be carefull and don't damage the model...

Baldie

Post by Baldie » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:21 pm

B&Q do a great gel paint stripper in their value range.
I cover models I want to strip and leave for as long as I can be bothered and then clean in water with tooth brush as suggested.

Works great.

hendrik

Post by hendrik » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:54 am

i used simple break fluid to remove paint in the past.

Counterpane

Post by Counterpane » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:23 am

Thanks guys. So the standard view seems to be that paint trippers of various kinds should clean off the surface oxidation too?

I think I'll try Dettol first as that's what I usually use and it's not too harsh.

Cheers!

siggian

Post by siggian » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:02 pm

There are better alternatives to dettol out there. I've used acetone with a toothbrush with good results. I've heard that neat rubbing alcohol also works.

Contrarius

Post by Contrarius » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:41 am

That’s an astounding amount of corrosion. Was the figure left in a damp shed? Never seen a better advertisement for metal primer!

Once you’ve stripped the paint have you figured how to remove the oxidised metal? Vinegar is the usual ‘goto’ but you never know how it will react with the alloy. Perhaps try dipping only one small part of the figure first?