Re: WW2 6mm Hex terrain and Lard games

Post by Tijnemanske » Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:59 pm

Baldie wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:01 am
Looks fantastic
Thank you for the feedback!
siggian wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:19 am
I have about 40+ stands of American infantry and 40+ Shermans and all the support weapons and tanks you could want. I have sufficient Germans to oppose them.

My American infantry is Adler, 95% of my vehicles are GHQ, and my Germans are GHQ, although I have German Adler to replace them when I get around to painting them. As good as GHQ vehicles are, their infantry are pretty poor.

Basically, I used them in Blitzkrieg Commander. I do have IABSM but never used them for that.
That's quite the collection! I agree on the quality of the GHQ vehicles, incredible how they get that much detail on such a small model... I have just received a set of Heroics & Ross Fallschirmjägers, which are really good. How do you like your Adler mini's, can you recommend them?

Played another game of What a Tanker! yesterday. Another fun game full of crazy moments and learning points... Afterwards I rearranged my Hexes go create the following set-up...

Capt Fortier

Post by Capt Fortier » Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:52 pm

I was wondering how versatile in-built terrain on the hex block system was, but you've shown there is a reasonable level of variation you can build in - really impressive. What are the total dimensions?
Capt Fortier

“Un optimiste, c'est un homme qui plante deux glands et qui s'achète un hamac.” - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

Tijnemanske

Post by Tijnemanske » Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:25 am

Capt Fortier wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:52 pm
I was wondering how versatile in-built terrain on the hex block system was, but you've shown there is a reasonable level of variation you can build in - really impressive. What are the total dimensions?
The system itself is extremely versatile. The Hexes are precisely cut and will fit together without any problems. The different options offered by the kit complement eachother perfectly. I make these Hexes with the aid of the Hex Terrain Toolkit. A while ago I posted an in-depth review of the kit on my blog: https://toysoldiersofftowar.blogspot.co ... olkit.html

At the start of the project I made the decision to attach all the scenery to the Hexes, so there are no loose roads, fields or buildings. Trees are the exception, some are modelled on while others are based individually or in sets of three. This approach offers me the freedom to add wooded areas at will and also enhances playability as trees can be picked up and moved to allow models to enter the wooded areas.

At the moment I have completed a surface of about a square metre, just under a fifth of the total surface of my gaming table. The project is still young, I have been working on my Hex terrain for a few months now. I am adding to it all the time, at the moment I am making a couple of multi-Hex modules with fields and buildings.

A good example of a multi-Hex module can be seen below...

My first multi-Hex town module, complete with magnetized and detachable buildings so there is room to mive around your models...

Making multi-Hex modules has some pro's and con's... The most important reason to make them is that I can include terrain that just won't fit on a single Hex. Things like towns, villages and fields are a good example of that. However, they are not as versatile as a regular, single Hex, something I aim to prevent by including several entry end exit points...

While the system is extremely versatile, everything modelled on somewhat limits that versatility. Thus, things as roads, hills and buildings can only be used in one or two ways... However, that problem (if you can call it that) is easily solved by making more Hexes. At the moment I don't have a lot of spare Hexes, so my options are a bit limited (hills are my main problem at the moment). But as that number continues to grow the versatility will grow with it...

gilliessim

Post by gilliessim » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:53 am

Ah Beautiful! So good to see you posting your work here! The wide shots of the whole area are just lovely, I can see why you want to get some toys on the table.

As always - can't wait to see more!

Thank you,

Gillies

Munin

Post by Munin » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:42 pm

What material is the bottom-most layer (the one with the locking tabs) of your hexes made from?

Tijnemanske

Post by Tijnemanske » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:26 am

gilliessim wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:53 am
Ah Beautiful! So good to see you posting your work here! The wide shots of the whole area are just lovely, I can see why you want to get some toys on the table.

As always - can't wait to see more!

Thank you,

Gillies
Hi Gillies! We've played a couple of What a Tanker! games now and the terrain and scenery work very well... Only downside is that the tanks are so darn small it's easy to lose sight of them :roll:
Munin wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:42 pm
What material is the bottom-most layer (the one with the locking tabs) of your hexes made from?
The snowflake Hexes are made from the same high density foam as the rest of the terrain, just half as thick...

At the moment I am working on several multi-Hex modules...

2x3, 3x4, 2x5 and 1x6 Hexes...

More in the next post...

Tijnemanske

Post by Tijnemanske » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:26 am

Most of these modules will be turned to fields but I also aim to make at least one more module with buildings on it, like the one in the post below...

Tijnemanske

Post by Tijnemanske » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:27 am

A multi-Hex module with a farmstead...

Munin

Post by Munin » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:19 pm

Gorgeous. Oooh, you need some railroad tracks!

Tijnemanske

Post by Tijnemanske » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:26 pm

Munin wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:19 pm
Gorgeous. Oooh, you need some railroad tracks!
I do agree on that... I am already working on several ideas on how to make a set of rails. Kind of in between ways of how I want to do that...