WW2 6mm Hex terrain and Lard games

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Tijnemanske

Re: WW2 6mm Hex terrain and Lard games

Post by Tijnemanske » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:46 pm

I finished the multi-Hex fields and made a new lay-out with all the new Hexes...

A lot more pictures can be found on my blog.

Snotgurg

Post by Snotgurg » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:03 am

It's really inspiring, great job!

Tijnemanske

Post by Tijnemanske » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:05 am

Snotgurg wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:03 am
It's really inspiring, great job!
Thank you! More updates are coming soon! For a lot more pictures, feel free to check out my blog...

Tijnemanske

Post by Tijnemanske » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:40 pm

Even before I started my 6mm project I had given the concept to base my vehicles some thought...

Basing is for infantry, and not for tanks. This has always been my point of view, but with this smaller scale I started having some second thoughts...

Pro's:
Adding a base will surely provide the models with some protection, both in storage and on the battlefield...
Bases offer a way to visually tie a force together...
Adding a base will make the smaller vehicles less likely to get lost on a table densely filled with terrain...

Cons:
Basing is for infantry, not for vehicles...
Adding a base will limit the vehicles possibilities to be placed in/near terrain...
The static grass I have now is too large for the scale to be used on the bases...

My main objection is that basing vehicles shouldn't impede mobility and placement on the tabletop. To try and make sure this is kept to a minimum I will be working with several different sized bases, keeping as close to the size of the models as possible.

If I am to go through with this, I am planning to cut the bases from 0.5mm plasticard. The bases will be rectangular or square in shape. Basing will be consistent throughout the entire force, providing a common factor in infantry, vehicles and artillery...

The bases will be covered with some textured paint and grass. The rough ground will match the colour of the dirt on the tracks/wheels of the vehicles and of my terrain. I think I will be using two or three different shapes and sizes, depending on the size of the vehicle...

Feel free to share your views and experience on the subject as I am still undecided...

siggian

Post by siggian » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:50 pm

I based my 6mm figures on steel and then I lined my carrier with magnetic sheets. My figures stay in place and don't bang into anything. It also gives the bases some heft. If you base using plastic or don't base at all, protecting the paint and any thin pointy bits is a big problem.

I painted the bases a mid-brown and laid on a coat of mid-green flock.

Yes, the downside is that you get "rolling" terrain on roads and in built up areas, but I consider the advantages outweighing the downsides.

(The green is not as neon in real life)

Munin

Post by Munin » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:07 am

Do not base tanks. Basing tanks is terrible. It is known.

Tijnemanske

Post by Tijnemanske » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:09 pm

Thank you, both!

@Siggian
Thank you very much for your thorough answer! I will have to make a few test bases/models to see if I can come up with something I can be happy with...
Munin wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:07 am
Do not base tanks. Basing tanks is terrible. It is known.
It is known... But this scale changes everything...

I have been busy working on another project... I am 3D-printing buildings for my 15mm projects. I have been working on this gor quite some time and the collection has grown. Now all I need to do, is paint them...

I have written a full post on my blog, containing a lot more pictures...

gilliessim

Post by gilliessim » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:38 am

I took advice on this and based my 6mm tanks (only got a few so far!) The barrels a re so thin I think you have to in order to try protect them better. I used MDF, simply to tie in with all my other forces. I used 30x30 squares for infantry so did the same for the tanks, I then based one on a 2p (25mm) circular base, this is to identify the leader. Again as I did that with infantry so it made sense to keep it consistent.
Using IABSM so Big Men on 2p (25mm) bases.

Tijnemanske

Post by Tijnemanske » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:21 pm

gilliessim wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:38 am
I took advice on this and based my 6mm tanks (only got a few so far!) The barrels a re so thin I think you have to in order to try protect them better. I used MDF, simply to tie in with all my other forces. I used 30x30 squares for infantry so did the same for the tanks, I then based one on a 2p (25mm) circular base, this is to identify the leader. Again as I did that with infantry so it made sense to keep it consistent.
Using IABSM so Big Men on 2p (25mm) bases.

Thank you for your answer! Nice pictures, too!

Your bases look pretty uniform, and that's a good thing, as it really helps to tie a force together... Am I correct in stating your static grass is shorter than usual? I am having doubts about the length of my grass... My grass is 4mm in length, which is fine for terrain, but when it comes to basing, it will be half as tall as the vehicles on the base...

The width of the bases, 30mm, do you find that intrusive/obstructive in any way when it comes to navigating terrain?

BaronVonWreckedoften

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:36 pm

gilliessim wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:38 am
The anti-tank gun should get some reverse swing with that action!
No plan survives first contact with the dice.