Help Painting late WW2 tanks.

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Jimmy

Help Painting late WW2 tanks.

Post by Jimmy » Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:01 pm

Hello Folks, I have been painting my way through some US infantry for use in Chain of command and have got to the point that I should be painting up some vehicles.

I am an experienced painter but not so much in historical, leaving me knowing how I am going to paint them but not what colors I should paint them, any help with suggestions for colour schemes and which paints to pick up would be great.

The painting

I am looking for the main block colours used on the vehicles. Colours for small details I am happy to use from my existing range of paints. I have one of each vehicle listed in the main chain of command rule book to paint up if that helps. The army is painted in summer uniforms, so I doubt I will be painting any winter schemes.

Historical accuracy

From looking about I found different schemes represented for American Tanks and vehicles, some being the olive drab and others in camouflage, The painter in me would like to see a variety in the vehicles I have to paint and field in games. I would also like to have some semblance of historical accuracy. So here are some questions.

1. Would there of been vehicles of different colour patterns fielded together ?

2. Are there any colour patterns that are specific to different theaters or different platoons ?

3. Are there any colour patterns specific to certain vehicles ?

4. Are there any vehicles that couldn't be painted up in Olive drab ? (the go too colour if I cant think of anything better)

5. Are there any interesting schemes you know of that would fit into a late war force ?

Thanks folks

siggian

Re: Help Painting late WW2 tanks.

Post by siggian » Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:35 pm

US vehicles are pretty much universally olive drab, but note that with different batches and with exposure, the actual colour could vary a bit. Add in layers of dust and dirt, and you have some opportunity to change from vehicle to vehicle.

No camo scheme except that there are a few pix showing black blotches on some early tanks.

DougM

Post by DougM » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:32 pm

Marine vehicles in the Pacific occasionally used camouflage - but generally, all other theatres, it was olive drab or olive drab.

And variation was due to weathering, staining or bleaching of the underlying paint. Tools etc were either overpainted olive drab or left natural wood. Kit such as sacks, blankets, etc were usually variations on tan, dark earth, olive drab or khaki.
---------------------------------------------
https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/

Jimmy

Post by Jimmy » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:21 am

Thank you very much folks.

DougM

Post by DougM » Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:14 pm

Sorry there weren't more exciting answers, but you can do a lot with olive drab and an airbrush especially. (Incidentally, I use the Tamiya acrylic Olive Drab as I find the Tamiya acrylics use a different carrier fluid which seems less prone to clogging the airbrush nozzle.) There are quite a few good tutorials on painting olive drab on US tanks online, it just depends on the tools you have available and how much effort you want to put into it.

An example of my amateur efforts is on my blog (search for 'Hellcat')

But this is expert stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxB0fNfiO24 and without an airbrush, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUu-TX7EYOw
https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/