Painting minis unassembled/built/on the sprue????

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Beardymedic42

Painting minis unassembled/built/on the sprue????

Post by Beardymedic42 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:13 pm

I've just bought some Victrix Peninsular British and French infantry for SP (and other games - going to base them individually) - they look like amazing minis but given the intricate nature of the uniforms Im wondering about painting them unassembled so I can access the chests etc without muskets and arms getting in the way.

This is going to be more of a long term project so I want to take my time and make a good job of it as its my first foray into Napoleonics (Ive been doing fantasy and WW2 for a while now) and brightly coloured, highly detailed uniforms are a new challenge for me.

Does anyone else paint unassembled or on the sprue or is this a ridiculous notion? :o

Cheers

Dave

Truscott Trotter

Re: Painting minis unassembled/built/on the sprue????

Post by Truscott Trotter » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:24 am

Hi Dave

Seeing no one else has expressed an opinion...... :D

Personally I do not paint on the sprue as I am:
1.) Lazy
2.) Careless with glue and will end up ruining the paint job.

However, if I was painting Napoleonic with fancy webbing and facings etc I would certainly give it a go.

With my WW2 Warlord plastic Japs it is a pain trying to reach their straps and webbing - seems the metal guys are sculpted with this in mind and they tend to be open you can get your brush in there or so closed you do not see the webbing.

On plastics you seem to be more likely to have arms and weapons in the way.

Just be prepared to do a little touching up on the paint - oh and I have found the brush on glue much easier to use - less mess.

Cheers and good luck
TT

siggian

Post by siggian » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:24 pm

My thought is that if you cannot reach an area with the paintbrush, you really don't need to paint it beyond what you'd get from spraybomb base coat. Mind you, I haven't painted any Napoleonics.

Gun-Pit Paul

Post by Gun-Pit Paul » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:38 am

The only thing I can suggest is this....
Paint ONE figure, place it in the centre of your gaming table.
What you can not see, don't bother painting.

mellett68

Post by mellett68 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:32 am

I hate assembly so I always rush to glue and prep them and get them basecoated ready for painting.

I haven't had much trouble with obscured details, just not painting them works fine if they're not visible. If I'm feeling jazzy and it's bothering me I'll do some of the less intricate parts that are obscured.

I've got some Roman auxiliaries to do and this time I'm going to paint the shields separately at least.