Starting in 6mm (WW2)

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

6MilPhil

Re: Starting in 6mm (WW2)

Post by 6MilPhil » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:43 pm

gilliessim wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:36 pm
The Baccus vehicles are a bit of a question mark for me, I'm not sure about committing to them and then having to wait for the variety to improve. I'm thinking I'll just go with GHQ vehicles, saves the wait.
2D6 stuff looks good but again - depends how quickly the range fills out.

The 2d6 range scales very well with GHQ. I'd encourage you to have a try with them because the more folk buy from him the quicker the range grows. ;)
aka: Slug Industries

gilliessim

Post by gilliessim » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:40 am

I take your point, at this point I'm looking for shermans, churchills, StuGs maybe Panzer 3 & 4, which they sadly don't have yet. Although when it comes to Russians I think I may use some of their stuff to add some variety and support them.

Contrarius - interesting take on it, I've gone the other way ie started in 28mm and dropped (or added 6mm) I'll keep both and I'm currently liking the large battle options that open up in 6mm, plus some of the terrain looks amazing (Mark Luther, Bruce Weigle)

Contrarius

Post by Contrarius » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:43 pm

gilliessim wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:40 am

Contrarius - interesting take on it, I've gone the other way ie started in 28mm and dropped (or added 6mm) I'll keep both and I'm currently liking the large battle options that open up in 6mm, plus some of the terrain looks amazing (Mark Luther, Bruce Weigle)
Agreed, that 6mm terrain does look simply beautiful. It’s the only reason I’m contemplating 6mm again. Well, the main reason.

Back in the day there were no decent rule systems around for big WW2 battles (nor for small battles, if truth be told) and I’d quite like to give the new ones a go. 1/72 is also a bit of stretch for IABSM and O Group will be even more so.

:geek:

gilliessim

Post by gilliessim » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:04 am

Yeah I have to say it feels like I joined this hobby at a good time! Also fun getting to discover stuff like 6mm that others have been using for ages but it is all brand new to me! Sometimes being new in a hobby can be rather good!

Mrjlmayer

Post by Mrjlmayer » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:38 pm

I've Actually started building some PicoArmor 3mm Armies for Pint Sized Battles.

6MilPhil

Post by 6MilPhil » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:11 pm

gilliessim wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:04 am
Also fun getting to discover stuff like 6mm that others have been using for ages but it is all brand new to me!
We've been really fortunate in 6mil circles in having a whole load of new manufacturers pop up over the last ten years, great quality and an upping of everyone's standards too.

siggian

Post by siggian » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:53 pm

For infantry, I can really recommend Adler. Not only does Leon have the basic infantry covered, he's got engineers doing engineery things like cutting wires and detecting mines.

Keep in mind that the picture is many times larger than the actual figures:

The one common criticism of Adler is that they have large heads. But I don't mind them because it helps the figures stand out.

As a contrast, these are GHQ figures (and vehicles)

I would not recommend GHQ because they have a terrible mixes of figures, some poor and static poses, and it's hard to buy small numbers of support weapon figures.

6MilPhil

Post by 6MilPhil » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:58 pm

Those look great!

I know what you mean about GHQ troop packs, I've a ton of prone minis with support weapons I'll likely never use.

gilliessim

Post by gilliessim » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:10 pm

Some German's and a few straggling Brits.

https://nottherivercottage.blogspot.com ... brits.html

mluther

Post by mluther » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:39 am

The new minis from H&R is nice and works with Adler. Even their new vehicles are worth a look. Not as nice as GHQ and 1/300 but considerably cheaper
As for terrain, this scale has soooooo many good manufacturers now. And basic scenery is cheap and relatively easy to diy.
Mark