Sandpaper and basing.

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Truscott Trotter

Re: Sandpaper and basing.

Post by Truscott Trotter »

I should imagine the combination of mankini and sand glues fingers could prove painful too?

Personally I have found layers of flock and tufts with occasionally rocks and bushes stuck with white glue for my bases
Cheap
Quick - no painting, inking or drybrushing
Easy to fix - no chipping
Looks pretty OK too

DougM

Post by DougM »

Very nice TT. They look the business.
---------------------------------------------
https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/

Corvusboreus

Post by Corvusboreus »

Truscott,
Your bases look exceedingly cool, especially the inclusion of tuft grasses. .
I mostly play with 1/72 scale pygmy soldiers, thus can't really hope to achieve such levels of base detailing.

Ps,to avoid getting sandy superglue in my mankini (OOWWW!), any work involving cyanoacrylate adhesives and feldspathic silicates is always undertaken wearing more practical attire, such as the classic hunting vest + tutu & tiara combination.
Walk softly and carry a big fish.

Truscott Trotter

Bloomin heck do you get mistaken for Prince Andrew in that outfit?

Truscott Trotter

Actually being serious for a millisecond ai think my flock n tuft method would work in 20mm, I use a modified version for my 15mm.

Just make sure ypur tufts are of appropriate length and the flock is fine rather than coarse.

The flock softens the base outline and the tufts etc break up the LOS so it appears flatter than it is.

Corvusboreus

Post by Corvusboreus »

I have got a few decorative grass/rush tufts on bases, mostly for 'special' figures.

Pierre Piaow, the pacifist sniper, lies in a patch of long grasses alongside his partner (name unknown, but he watches things through a telescope mounted on a monopod).
This grass was manufactured by separating then trimming and colouring micro tufts of standard wheat field welcome mat.
I glue the tuft grass onto the basing before any texture sand or flock is added, so the rubber layer is disguised.

Tufts can have practical structural value as well.
With one of the shabby nazi trickster figures (man on bicycle wearing capote and Adrian) the wobbly nature of the plastic figure (flimsy design in airfix soft) was propped up by both a wooden signpost ( <VONCQ I YONCQ>) and basal reinforcement in the form of knee high grass (same method).
Figures who sustain double lower leg fractures (airmobile training mishap or result of dark debt?) can have their otherwise disabling condition circumvented by the simple stint of gluing the figure into the middle of a clump of long grass.

Drawback is, it looks silly in streets.

BaronVonWreckedoften

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

Corvusboreus wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:27 am
.....alongside his partner (name unknown, but he watches things through a telescope mounted on a monopod).
Just in case you are looking for a name - and continuing with the "P" theme - the police tend to refer to them as either Per Vertz, or Pee-Ping Tomss (although it seems statistically and demographically unlikely that they are all called Thomas).

Pierre Piaow the pacifist sniper - love it! :lol:
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

Corvusboreus

Post by Corvusboreus »

Cheers Baron,
I like the idea of Pierre Vert with his trusty spyglass keeping up a keen watch for his old pal Pierre Piaow. (Les Follies des Pierres)
Monsieur Piaow has earned his nickname by demonstrating an ideological preference to psychology over slaughter.
He has managed 0 kills from about a dozen shots over 3 games, instead preferring to send the Bosch scurrying by shooting near their feet.

I really should work out how to start posting photos, they can save a thousand drops of drivel.

Truscott Trotter

Like this?
Last edited by Truscott Trotter on Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DougM

Post by DougM »

Image link is broken...
https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/