WW2 6mm Hex terrain and Lard games

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

gilliessim

Re: WW2 6mm Hex terrain and Lard games

Post by gilliessim » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:49 am

Tijnemanske - I use 1mm static grass, I got a load off ebay from a seller called Serious Play
(https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/m.html?_ssn= ... s&_sacat=0)

I find the 1mm works well, I don't use an applicator, just a small sieve to break up clumps so it goes on more smoothly.

I find 30mm bases a nice size, roomy enough so infantry look alright but not so big it becomes impractical placing them. It comes to about the size of a single track road, which I think works well.

Baron - I am too scared to bend the gun barrel straight in case it breaks! It'll just be one of those guns that can curve it's shots!

Tijnemanske

Post by Tijnemanske » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:55 am

Hi Gillies,

Thank you! I will be placing an order soon! The grass I use for my Hexes is too tall for the bases, but this should do just fine :)

I am still having a hard time coping with the peak of activity at work which takes up most of my 'free time' at the moment, so progress on the project is painfully slow. However, I am close to finishing a new set of trees, you can expect pictures soon...

Nick B

Post by Nick B » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:41 pm

Fantastic work - how do you do the wheat/corn fields, please?

Tijnemanske

Post by Tijnemanske » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:19 pm

Nick B wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:41 pm
Fantastic work - how do you do the wheat/corn fields, please?
Hi Nick, thank you for your kind words!
The fields are made with a mat from Busch (German model railway/scenery company). Wildgras mat 7214 for the yellowish one and 7210 for the dark green one. At this scale the mats are easily large enough to make several fields.

I cut them to the desired shape/size and glue them onto the Hexes. The edges are then covered with some textured paint and finished with some regular static grass.

Update!

Under the guise of 'you can never have too many trees' I have been working on a new set of, you guessed it, trees...

This expansion comes in the shape of ten woods (a base with three trees) and ten single trees. All the trees and bases are made by hand as can be seen in part I and II of this series... The based trees are a good way to add some more diversity to an already very flexible terrain set.

Finishing these took me a good while longer than I expected (and hoped), but work is absorbing most of my 'free' time at the moment. On the other hand, a small and relatively simple project like this is perfect to clear the mind...

With these new trees I can almost double the number of based trees for my 6mm Hex terrain.

The trees can easily be clustered together to form larger woods, giving the battlefield an altogether different look... From a small distance, I must admit I prefer this approach. Slowly, the woods I want are beginning to show.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated, so please let me know what you think. More pictures on my blog. Feel free to check it out...

BaronVonWreckedoften

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:35 pm

The woods/forests look good, but how practical are they for game play? Do you ever discover the equivalent of the 1970s Japanese sniper?
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

Tijnemanske

Post by Tijnemanske » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:35 pm

BaronVonWreckedoften wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:35 pm
The woods/forests look good, but how practical are they for game play? Do you ever discover the equivalent of the 1970s Japanese sniper?
I think the woods are pretty practical. If the need arises to move units through the forest it's quite easy to move a couple of trees out of the way to accommodate the models.

So far we've only played small games, with just a couple of miniatures per side... I can imagine it's possible to lose models in the scenery. In the heat of battle, especially if the vehicles are well camouflaged, I would say it's highly likely that you lose sight of miniatures. For example, when placed on a road, my German panzers blend in all too well...

Tijnemanske

Post by Tijnemanske » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:55 pm

Just a quick update on the 3D-printed 15mm Sainte-Mère-Église church...

Already a couple of days worth of printing time and still not finished... This is one big and complicated model.
More pictures and a full post on my blog.

gilliessim

Post by gilliessim » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:03 am

Trees look lovely, the church looks massive! Can't wait to see it all together and painted up.

I was checking through your blog, do you have a tutorial or step-by-step on how you make your 6mm buildings? or where you learned from maybe? I'd love to try it and I like your results!

Thank you,

Gillies

Tijnemanske

Post by Tijnemanske » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:27 pm

gilliessim wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:03 am
Trees look lovely, the church looks massive! Can't wait to see it all together and painted up.

I was checking through your blog, do you have a tutorial or step-by-step on how you make your 6mm buildings? or where you learned from maybe? I'd love to try it and I like your results!

Thank you,

Gillies
Hi Gillies,

Keep an eye on my blog, I will be putting up a sort of tutorial on how to do the houses in the next couple of days...

I got most of my inspiration from looking at scenery available online, also in larger scales. Pinterest has also been a great souce of ideas... The construction/process, however, is all my own work. Not terribly complicated though, as I hope to demonstrate with the tutorial ;)

Even before I got my Hex Terrain Toolkit I started playing around with my hot wire cutter and some bits of foam. Pretty quickly I had come up with some feasible results. The picture above shows some of my buildings, in various degrees of construction...

gilliessim

Post by gilliessim » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:18 am

Thank you! I will be watching out for it!