Munin's First Attempt At WW2 Vehicles

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Munin

Re: Munin's First Attempt At WW2 Vehicles

Post by Munin » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:45 pm

Heh. Yeah, "gently used" is not exactly what comes to mind when discussing vehicles in North Africa. I'm also about 75% done with the Pz IV from several posts back.

MLB

Post by MLB » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:55 pm

Great work and very creative use of magnets, some nice ideas there. Paint chipping is always a tricky one, how much is enough? I recall watching a modelling tutorial about it once and something the guy said has always stayed in mind, “just when you think you’ve done enough is probably the moment when you’ve done too much”.

Just one tip, if that’s not being too presumptuous, if paint is going to chip (and there’s quite a big debate in the modelling world about whether it does at all) then it is most likely to happen on exposed edges and corners particularly those that come into regular contact with terrain, boots and weapons and equipment that is regularly moved. Paint is less likely to chip from the centre of a panel unless there has been some sort of impact.
The Tactical Painter https://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com
Painting little soldiers for tactical battles on the table top

Munin

Post by Munin » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:29 pm

Not presumptuous at all, and I completely agree. That that's why for the most part I tend to focus the wear on corners, edges, hinges, fenders, and step points. You'll notice the wear is heavier on the running-boards, for instance. You can see that more on some of the other vehicles I've done, as I freely admit I probably went a little overboard with the Opel. I also tend to put more chips on the front of a vehicle than the sides/rear, as when vehicles are in convoy the sand/dirt/rocks tossed up by vehicles in the lead will generally impact those areas. A brief glance at the hood of my RAV4 after years of highway driving sadly confirms this notion. :(

Munin

Post by Munin » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:18 am

In addition to my Italians, I also finally finished off that Warlord/Italeri Panzer IV:

This is of course another example of my obsession with magnetization, with the barrel, hatch, and extra armor all removable:
Last edited by Munin on Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Munin

Post by Munin » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:19 am

One thing I forgot to do was weather the decals a little. They look super bright and crisp which is...not what I'm going for with these. I'll likely take care of that tomorrow.

gilliessim

Post by gilliessim » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:56 am

I love this so much! Such a clever and well executed idea. I get stuck into a kit and forget all about things like this until the end, and it then comes down to a shrug and an "oops"

DougM

Post by DougM » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:46 pm

Very ingenious - I'm afraid I am lazy, and would just buy two kits.. my big dilemma at the moment is whether I am happy using a PzIV F1 suitable for Barbarossa in my French 1040 campaign, or buy the Rubicon PzIV D kit.. and then, do I need another one for the DAK.