Franco Prussian Wars

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Jack badstock

Franco Prussian Wars

Post by Jack badstock »

The Franco Prussian war of 1870 falls after the American civil war and after the last army lists for Sharpe Practice. I am a great fan of chain of command, probably the best war games rules ever written. What do gamers think, could the Franco Prussian war with increased rifle and artillery ranges, yet still containing light, medium and heavy cavalry lend itself to CoC for skirmish games? Or should I stick with Sharpe Practice which I find slower.
Regards Jack
Peter

Re: Franco Prussian Wars

Post by Peter »

My initial thoughts are that the troops and weapons would be quite vanilla on either side - no mortars, grenades, only the very occasional (and very heavy, but not very efficient) machine gun. No vehicles, but you would have to worry about cavalry. I've no idea what the organisation might be.
Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Hi Jack,

You might want to take a look at “Through the Mud and Blood” for the FPW. Though written for WW1 it might be closer to what you need than CoC.
I also think that “If the Lord Spares Us!” might offer possibilities for larger games.

John
Jack badstock

Post by Jack badstock »

Thanks very much for the suggestions. I will check out both rule sets, Mud and Blood and If the Lord Spares Us.
Thanks again