Book Recommendations, WWI, Italian Front

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Atheling

Book Recommendations, WWI, Italian Front

Post by Atheling »

Hi,

Might be a bit of a whim, might not be..... :)

I'm looking for books on the Italian Front during WWI. An overview or two and something a little more macro focusing on small actions if possible.

i don't have any Italian or Austrian so in English if at all possible please.

Capt Fortier

Re: Book Recommendations, WWI, Italian Front

Post by Capt Fortier »

John Gooch's The Italian Army and the First World War (Cambridge University Press, 2014) provides an excellent overview and analysis of the Italian experience - have a look at this review to see if it might suit. For more of the Austro-Hungarian story, try John Schindler's Isonzo: The Forgotten Sacrifice of the Great War (Praeger Press, 2000). These are both at the more strategic and operational end of the spectrum. I'm not sure what is around at a smaller scale, but perhaps try some unit histories or memoirs?
Capt Fortier

“Frapper l'ennemi, c'est bien. Frapper l'imagination, c'est mieux.” - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny
Peter

Post by Peter »

For fiction. I'd recommend the John Biggins' books, in particular "The Two-headed eagle".
cstoesen

Post by cstoesen »

I have a few english language ones. I need to check at home for them. But to get you started, check out the site: http://www.austro-hungarian-army.co.uk/

This is a good site for the Austro Hungarians and was the source for a few of my Mud and Blood supplement scenarios.
Most of my books for the Austro-Hungarians is related to the Eastern Front and the fighting with Russia. Or about their air forces with the Italians.
Chris Stoesen
No matter where you go, there you are -- Buckaroo Banzai
Nil Facilis Est
Levi the Ox

Post by Levi the Ox »

Erwin Rommel's Infantry Attacks covers a number of smaller WWI actions, and includes his participation in the Twelfth Battle of Isonzo, as well as fighting in Rumania. It's focused on recounting and analyzing his tactical experiences, so is entirely from a low-level perspective. A good read, and a very interesting look at the mechanics of WWI combat, just keep in mind it's only one person's perspective.
cstoesen

Post by cstoesen »

Also check out "The White War: Life and Death on the Italian Front 1915 - 1919" by Thompson.
Chris Stoesen
No matter where you go, there you are -- Buckaroo Banzai
Nil Facilis Est