Is there a co-op/solo-only historical miniatures game out there?

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Bishop2K7

Re: Is there a co-op/solo-only historical miniatures game out there?

Post by Bishop2K7 »

I tracked down these rules as well, and will definitely give them a try. However his direction finder touched off my OCD a little, and so I had to make a new one that distributed the probabilities more logically. Thought I'd share it with you all:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13eXyei ... sp=sharing

Obviously with this chart you would reroll 2s as well as 12s if you had infantry in the same zone.
karl1809

Post by karl1809 »

Bishop2K7 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:00 pm I tracked down these rules as well, and will definitely give them a try. However his direction finder touched off my OCD a little, and so I had to make a new one that distributed the probabilities more logically. Thought I'd share it with you all.
Thanks for that, where would we be without a bit of OCD :lol:
The TGS concept is IMHO a brilliant tool for all gamers and especially those of us who game solo. Although I only recently acquired it I'm sure there is much that may be tweaked to suit individual tastes.
Bishop2K7

Post by Bishop2K7 »

I created a fairly literal adaptation of these rules for Sharp Practice and tried out a game. They worked as intended, spicing things up and adding some tension to the deployment phase of the battle. Sharp Practice works well solo without these rules, so I don't think I would use them every time I play, but they work well if you want to play an ambush type scenario.

The rules also played well with SP's narrative elements. The battle played out in a way that made it is easy to imagine a story of a smaller force using trickery and ambush to hold off a larger force until reinforcements arrived.

I did a Peninsular War battle with me playing the French against the British. My game table and armies are still a work in progress, so I played out the battle on Tabletop Simulator. I didn't bother with points. Just laid out a French force and a bit larger British one, and made sure to include all the different unit types in order to test out the Threat rules.

It ended up a humiliating defeat for the French. Despite their initial numerical superiority, they were effectively kept at bay by a much smaller force until the larger British Line units arrived. This was due to a combination of bad luck, me bottle-necking the deployment and two very effective British ambushes. I took plenty of screen-shots, so perhaps I'll write up a quick AAR sometime.

A final note on the Threat rules is that I had to throw out the turn limit rule. If I had followed that the game would have been over on turn six. And while French prospects were looking dim at that point, nothing truly decisive had happened yet, and both sides had plenty of Force Moral.
steve_holmes_11

Post by steve_holmes_11 »

Minis games are generally not designed exclusively for "cooperative" which is a fairly Eurogame concept.

I have seen Scenarios for Minis games that involve cooperative aspects.
These typically involve an opponent which is immobile, or can be controlled through a small AI.
Sieges work well, and relieve the poor old besieged guy from the drudge of shooting back and counting rations.

Arty Conliffe's Crossfire has a "Storm the Reichstag" scenario which is a blend of cooperative / competitive.

Daniel Mersey's The Men Who Would Be Kings has a chapter on playing solo against an AI called "Mister Babbage".
I've seen "several chaps against Mr Babbage" scenarios, which look quite interesting.
Toys R Fun
Joe Legan

Post by Joe Legan »

biased opinion but platoon forward plays well in co op mode. it was designed to give the solo player an unknown enemy to face. It isnt random but weighted against what you are bringing to the fight. I wanted a game where I would need to recon what was in front of me.

cheers

Joe