What Scale for Infamy

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Eggbert

What Scale for Infamy

Post by Eggbert »

Hi All
Taking my first step into historical war games after 25 years and have preordered the Infamy rules. What is the best scale to play the game in, does it work with both 15mm and 28mm? Cheers

Amaz_Ed

Re: What Scale for Infamy

Post by Amaz_Ed »

Yes. You play it in any scale you like. Some people will be using a base with several smaller scale miniatures to represent a single figure as the rules are written. Some will change the ground scale. There are no rules as to what scale you use or how the miniatures are based as long as you are able to record casualties (some use dice as markers) and you have opposition of the same scale and similar basing available.

Eggbert

Post by Eggbert »

Thanks, now I can start having a look for some miniatures once I decide on the scale

Hank Scorpio

Post by Hank Scorpio »

I may do it in two scales. 6mm on a 28mm footprint, and of course most definitely 28mm singly based.

Tomm

Post by Tomm »

Any idea what the ground scale _is_? I couldn't see what it was, but given the movement distance is similar to CoC, and the human being 1.0 hasn't changed much, I assume it's 15mm groundscale.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Tomm wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:02 pm
Any idea what the ground scale _is_? I couldn't see what it was, but given the movement distance is similar to CoC, and the human being 1.0 hasn't changed much, I assume it's 15mm groundscale.
Hi Tomm,
I’d suggest it’s more likely to be the same as Sharp Practice at 1’ to 40 yards or 1:120 which still works out equivalent to 15mm figure scale. Though I don’t think that will be an issue or make a difference in game play, unlike in CoC where 28mm figures do look crowded In my view.

John

Tomm

Post by Tomm »

Horses for courses, in CoC, for my money. 28mm in built up areas is great. Because it's supposed to feel claustrophobic and crowded and right on top of each other. For the 'Empty Battlefield' field engagement, I totally agree with you.

Contrarius

Post by Contrarius »

Tomm wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:02 pm
... and the human being 1.0 hasn't changed much ....
Modern humans are at least 10% taller than just 70 years ago, and Italianate folks have always tended to be smaller than northern Europeans, so if we were on 1.0 in Roman times there is a good case for saying we are now on version 1.1 or 1.2. ;)

With horses the differences are very much more pronounced with selective breeding putting us somewhere like version 3.5.

Tomm

Post by Tomm »

Contrarius wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:06 pm
Modern humans are at least 10% taller than just 70 years ago, and Italianate folks have always tended to be smaller than northern Europeans, so if we were on 1.0 in Roman times there is a good case for saying we are now on version 1.1 or 1.2.
That's nutrition and healthcare though rather than genetics. Or

"Ain't my fault you don't look after 'im, squire. This'll do 6'6" looked after right"

Contrarius

Post by Contrarius »

Yes @Tomm, you’re probably right.

Sure I saw something some time ago about actual genetic changes over time. Certainly there is adaptation to environment, e.g. loss of natural melanin in northern climes, but perhaps that takes tens of thousands of years, not merely thousands.

Perhaps human 1.01 then?

Going off now to watch the Eloi frolicking with Rod Taylor in the original “Time Machine“.