Infamy Infamy forces nudge...

Post by jonrog1 »

Any chance of Dacian/ Sarmation list?

Because you know you want to......

Kustenjaeger

Re: Infamy Infamy forces nudge...

Post by Kustenjaeger »

Greetings

My 15/18mm unpainted EIR, Dacians and Sarmatians would agree!

I imagine once the rules are out the Dacians should not be too hard to house rule.

Regards

Edward

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Need to add a Rhomphia (sp) fear factor 🔪 😱😰

Kustenjaeger

Post by Kustenjaeger »

The nice thing about Dacians is that in theory you could use them for a ‘what if’ Caesarian campaign - Caesar planned to attack Burebusta in 44 BC, a project thwarted by Caesar being murdered.

Regards

Edward

Quackstheking

Post by Quackstheking »

The trouble with including Dacians in the first release is that you would have to add in new weapons (Falx and Lance) and new troop types (Sarmation) - Rich has already commented that he is not sure that the Dacians sit neatly in the “Barbarian” stereotype.

In addition knowing as I do how much research Rich puts into each army list, including the Dacians would involve extensive reading and research, painting a Dacian warband, writing specific rules and maybe even new characteristics, extensive play testing to make sure they worked on the tabletop in an historic fashion and then making sure the pointing was balanced - all whilst in a Covid 19 lockdown!

This would add at least 2/3 months to the rules release! I suspect Dacians may be better covered in phase 2 by which time, with the rules having been out for a while, everyone will by then be understanding of the rules mechanics which are very nuanced!

I’ll guarantee anyway that someone will start with the house ruling of Dacians within 2 months of release - might even feature in a 2020 Lard Magazine article!😂

Don

Richard
Site Admin

Post by Richard »

It wasn't my intention to include them in the main rules as my initial feelings are that they will suit a later supplement much better as they are a much more sophisticated opponent than even the Gauls (and they make the Britons look primitive and the Germans like cave men). To a large degree they would fit better with the Eastern supplement that is planned. The Sarmatians are undoubtedly of that genre and one really can't have Dacians without their Sarmatian chums.

That said...I bought a Dacian/Sarmatian Army this morning and I am keeping an open mind. I am play-testing Servile revolt stuff over the next weeks, but then I'll get the Dacians ready for the table and see where we go. I've already been reading some academic texts. I need to look into the archaeology as the lack of period material is frustrating and demands a different approach. As said, Caesar's campaign against Burebista is an interesting "What if' but I think it supremely likely that skrmishes on the frontier did happen, and we also have the affair of Gaius Antonius Hybrida and the Bastarnae which also give opportunities for conflict.

Vanth

Post by Vanth »

Kustenjaeger wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:03 am
...a project thwarted by Caesar being murdered.
Aye, being murdered tends to spoil a bit things for you, doesn't it? :D
Vanth
"...there are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in thyne philosophy..."

jonrog1

Post by jonrog1 »

Thank you Rich for the in depth reply, good to know they are out there on the potential horizon as it were and possibly something to look forward to. I agree, their eastern aspects with the option of Sarmatian allies makes them really appealing. in the meantime, ill flick some paint at a band of Gauls. Will there be a Lard TV intro to these at some point similar to the Ancient Britons?

Many thanks.

Richard
Site Admin

Post by Richard »

Yes. We Will be filming Caesarian Romans and Gauls this coming week. I was hoping for today, but I think I may go and strangle my wife instead.

BaronVonWreckedoften

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

Truscott Trotter wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:51 am
Need to add a Rhomphia (sp) fear factor 🔪 😱😰
As in "romphia lives!!!"?
No plan survives first contact with the dice.