Infamy, Infamy Hairy Germans!

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Petahpie

Re: Infamy, Infamy Hairy Germans!

Post by Petahpie »

Good stuff!! I should have some of the 4ground chariots (just chariots, no people or horses) and old Wargames Factory horses coming in, so I'm excited to see what I can rig out of those. It's looking like springing for some actual cavalry would be smart too. I was surprised to not see archers, but fortunately I haven't bought any of those yet either.

Kustenjaeger

Post by Kustenjaeger »

Greetings

I don’t think archers are referred to in the Ancient British context - which does not mean they did not exist* but were not regarded as important to mention. Sling use at British Iron Age hill forts is attested by finds of different forms of shot.

* having said which from a quick trawl I can only find reference to British Iron Age arrowheads in relation to 2 iron arrowheads discovered at Pimperne in Dorset and dated to around C5th BCE.

Edward

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Bows too technical for Ancient Gordies, slings is it! 😋
Un fact as late as Dark Ages bows were considered hunting weapons noy nmany fighting weapons.

Slings were mainly used by boys and old men not the prime fighting men, they had spears.

jonrog1

Post by jonrog1 »

Is it too much of a good thing to hope for a Dacian/ Sarmatian Force? I'm totally new to this whole Ancients malarkey, but going on the premise they look good, "the solid basis of all good war-gaming research" could I mix the forthcoming Victrix Dacians with First Corps excellent Scythians (it says Sarmatian on the label as well :-).

Here's hoping....

Truscott Trotter

Been awhile since I had 15mm Sarmatians but I think they are later than the 1st Corps Scythians. Normally the Sarmatian allies are pictured with complete horn barded horses , no shield and a kontos in both hands

jonrog1

Post by jonrog1 »

Shame, i know Warlord also do a lovely range and they may be the next port of call but I'll get some of the First Corps just because they are so fantastic, arms length 2 ft away, curse they're Sarmations son! :lol: :lol:

Petahpie

Post by Petahpie »

I think supplement 2 is supposed to move a bit east, so I expect the Dacian/Sarmatian force to be there.

Truscott Trotter

What happens when the Huns arrive? 😉

BaronVonWreckedoften

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

Marmitians - you either love them or hate them.
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

Munin

Post by Munin »

Marmitians? They were the tribes united under the great Vegimitix, right? ;)