IABSM handbooks - any use to CoC players?

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

BaronVonWreckedoften

IABSM handbooks - any use to CoC players?

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

A while back, I was flicking through the TFL "shop", noticed the "Blitzkrieg in the West/Far East" handbooks and made a mental note of the recommendation that they were "equally valuable for other rulesets". Having already got the "Blitzkrieg 1940" CoC handbook - and having been eagerly awaiting the Far East one since it was first alluded to - would forum members recommend buying the France/BEF/Low Countries/German/Japanese IABSM versions? In short, am I going to get more useable info?
Last edited by BaronVonWreckedoften on Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

Contrarius

Re: IABSM handbooks - any use to CoC players?

Post by Contrarius »

Blitzkrieg in the East is still being given away free. For someone who’s done a bit of research on the subject there are few revelations but it’s a handy reference work nevertheless. Should give you some idea what to expect in the other volumes.

https://toofatlardies.co.uk/product/bli ... d-invaded/

BaronVonWreckedoften

Thanks, I'll give that a go as a sample (sorry, my original message should have read "Blitzkrieg in the West/Far East" - Japanese, not Poles!).

Vis Bellica

Post by Vis Bellica »

I think they are marvellous, incredibly useful for CoC, and could only be improved by the addition of a cover-mounted bacon sandwich!

But seriously, they are designed to be complementary, with Big Rich and I often sharing our research. As IABSM models a platoon without necessarily including every member, the CoC book provides more depth at that level; but, for CoC, the IABSM book provides a huge amount of context at a higher level. They are really good for understanding why your support options are what they are, or for identifying which support options go with platoons from which units e.g. should you have access to a StuG or not (only if you are from Gross-Deuschland, XIII Corps or 3rd ID).

BaronVonWreckedoften

Vis Bellica wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:21 am
I think they are marvellous, incredibly useful for CoC, and could only be improved by the addition of a cover-mounted bacon sandwich!
Testify, brother! (And a gratuitous cooking lager shot, of course.....)
Vis Bellica wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:21 am
They are really good for understanding why your support options are what they are, or for identifying which support options go with platoons from which units e.g. should you have access to a StuG or not (only if you are from Gross-Deuschland, XIII Corps or 3rd ID).
That's very much the sort of thing I am looking for - thank you.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

I’d endorse Robert Avery’s “modest” statement as to the usefulness of the IABSM supplements to CoC players. The various Blitzkreig Handbooks for example provide lots of extra background material in a single volume for each participant and provide a context to the lists in the CoC Blitzkreig 1940 supplement. They can help you decide which unit you want your platoon to represent and what supports it can expect adding a greater degree of authenticity to your games.

John

BaronVonWreckedoften

Thank you, John. Japanese book (Blitzkrieg in the Far East) ordered for my Malaya '42 campaign.

maximbradley

Post by maximbradley »

It’s a handy reference work.

BaronVonWreckedoften

And whilst I was temporarily off-line (yellow-carded for deliberately bringing the tone down), I also purchased "Fall of the Lion Gate" which is a treasure-trove of scenarios and perfect for historically accurate support/equipment data. I know quite a few CoC players are looking at Malaya '42 at the moment, and would thoroughly recommend both this, and "Blitzkrieg in the Far East".