Battle of France Reading

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

l'audace

Battle of France Reading

Post by l'audace » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:18 am

I got the CoC 1940 campaign guide a while back and just got the Gembloux Gap campaign and I'm really itching to get into this theater. I have some French and Germans being painted up and reading some general history.

Any recommendations of any good books in operational histories on the campaign? There doesn't seem to be much in English, unless I'm missing something.

Thanks

Jim

oozeboss
Location: In the Shadow of the Temple of Mir-Anda, Sydney, Australia

Re: Battle of France Reading

Post by oozeboss » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:53 am

An extremely good tome is "Case Red: The Collapse of France" by Robert Forczyk, published by Osprey (and at 465 pages presented as a standard paperback format, it's not their normal white covered 48 or 96 page wonder).

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:39 am

Second vote for Case Red - good overall history. But I have about 12 others on my Kindle that cover different battles and aspects of the campigns .So if there is any particlar battle you are interested in let me know and I will see if I can dig up a book title for you.

Oops sorry you are specifically intersted in Gembloux gap?
A few books listed here for that battle
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_ ... oux_(1940)

Good info here ( as usual)
https://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=89148

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:57 am

Capt Fortier

Post by Capt Fortier » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:08 pm

I'd also add a vote for Case Red - comprehensive and excellent coverage of the Battle for France. Will Fowler's Blitzkrieg Book II: France, Holland and Belgium, 1940-41 is a good general guide with plenty of pictures and maps, and Robert Doughty's The Breaking Point: Sedan and the Fall of France, 1940 is a comprehensive account of Guderian's "Miracle on the Meuse".

The Dutch, Belgian and Luxembourg government's put out official accounts in English during the war and which are now available online; as is the British official history - see Hyperwar: Blitzkrieg - but I've never found a French official account online.
Capt Fortier

“Un optimiste, c'est un homme qui plante deux glands et qui s'achète un hamac.” - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

l'audace

Post by l'audace » Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:32 am

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and links. I'll check out case Red and the Sedan book.

I'm most interested where there's some tough fighting there could go either way. Gembloux was interesting where French infantry divisions held off an equal number of panzers.it gives the campaign a sense that things can go anyway at several points which give the whole campaign a sense of heroicsm and tragedy.

I'm also interested in any actions involving some of the colonial North African or Senegalese units.

Thanks again

Jim

berkebilep

Post by berkebilep » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:41 pm

I definitely agree on Case Red. A very informative book.

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:01 am

I was reading about an action south of Calais where some Sengalise put up a brave last stand with some French and a few British searchlight troops Vs German division - or at least the recce regiment.