Disciplinary et Virtus plastic armies?

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Truscott Trotter

Re: Disciplinary et Virtus plastic armies?

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Yeah completely different hairstyles :lol: :P :roll:

CaptainBoxman

Post by CaptainBoxman »

Following up on this: those of you who have had the Vitrix EIRs, how easily do you think the command sprue would be to convert to regular dudes?

Over a certain number of boxes/units, there's going to be a silly number of instruments and signifiers etc or a quarter of the minis unused if they're not....

mellett68

Post by mellett68 »

The Victrix range for early imperial romans looks pretty spot on in my limited knowledge of the period. I'm considering an auxiliary-heavy force to represent grunt work but not sure yet.
CaptainBoxman wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:08 pm
Following up on this: those of you who have had the Vitrix EIRs, how easily do you think the command sprue would be to convert to regular dudes?

Over a certain number of boxes/units, there's going to be a silly number of instruments and signifiers etc or a quarter of the minis unused if they're not....
I was all excited about the EIR cavalry coming in 16s (a dream come true) until I struggled to find a single EIR cavalry optio figure... annoying!

Just looked at my auxilia frames and it looks like you'd have enough to do a decent job with the musician and standard bearer (whatever their roman names are) but the centurion/optio body will look too different. There's not enough spares on the command frame but loads on the infantry frame.

Edit again: You'd need a few spare shields for them actually, they have little round buckler thingies (more historical accuracy from me)

mellett68

Post by mellett68 »

I've assembled mine now, the optio doesn't have a dedicated body in the kit so you use one from the infantry frame.

I assembled:

1x Centurion (specific body and parts for him)
1x Optio (infantry body and command frame parts)
1x signifier (specific body and parts)
1x music fella (specific body and parts)

That left me with 20 infantry to assemble, I made two groups of 8 with 4 men spare.

I'm planning to add another auxilia set so I'll end up with 5 groups. I'm not sure on the leader situation yet so I'll hang on to the second command frame.

Luckily if it is surplus the extra command frame can be left in tact and chucked on eBay.

genew49

Post by genew49 »

Newline carries 20mm and 28mm EIR, Celts and Germans. On sale until December 1.
https://newlinedesigns.co.uk/

Snotgurg

Post by Snotgurg »

A bit late to reply, but I still have to get it of my chest:
I've seen the Victrix Germans mentioned a couple of times, but I do not agree that these are good value. The sprues are an anachronistic hodgepodge and half of the models will end up looking like they've been copied of a 18th century engraving.
If you want to build a relatively cohesive force (historically speaking) you will end up tossing away at least half of the sprues contents. There is some good stuff on there, but nowhere near enough to justify buying it. If you feel a degree of 'historical accuracy' on your models is necessary, that is.

Let it be known that I'm not knocking Victrix as a whole! I own plenty of Victrix models and I love them. It's just such a shame to see them miss the mark with this set. We could really do with some decent plastic Germanic warriors...

Captain Reid

Post by Captain Reid »

They could certainly do with belts.

Mind you, so could Foundry metals, The Warlord plastics do have belts, but on the other hand they have some truly strange poses (as well as a couple of decent ones). As I recall, First Corps metals have belts.

(Edit: sorry, I thought you were referring to the auxilia but looking back, I see you meant the Germans).
The climate crisis has already been solved. We already have all the facts and solutions. All we have to do is to wake up and change. - Greta Thunberg

The Saindoux Campaign, French & Indian War blog

Cerro Manteca, Peninsular War blog.