Disciplinary et Virtus plastic armies?

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Pvt weezle

Disciplinary et Virtus plastic armies?

Post by Pvt weezle »

Ok, in the past I have always studied a historical period, bought into a set of rules then created my armies. I want to switch this up. I would like to get a head-start on my armies while I study the time period. Have already bought into DV as I have NEVER been disappointed by a Lardies product. And really like the idea of large skirmish ancient games. What I'd like to ask the family is, can you recommend a figure company that produces plastic Romans, Germans and Britons along with the various characters that I imagine accompanying these armies? Will be racing DV game release vs my ability to collect, build and paint two armies.......still trying to decide between hairy Germans or hairy Britons.
Yers in iron and curr fayced doggs,
Pvt Weezy

Archdukek

Re: Disciplinary et Virtus plastic armies?

Post by Archdukek »

Warlord Games do hard plastic Romans and Celts for their Hail Caesar rules. They include starter sets which might give you all you need. Here's a link to the Invasion of Britain set.
https://store.warlordgames.com/collecti ... of-britain

There are also loads of metal figures to choose from too from other manufacturers.

John

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

I like the look of the Victrix myself.....if I was to start a new period and rules....but I'm not ( in case the wife sees this post)

Vanth

Post by Vanth »

Victrix kits are the best value or money I think, what's more just today I read that since they are promoting a game coming out in November which is very much in the same scale of D&V, they are going to release starter sets containing a mix of troops, 40/50 figures, which seem perfect for the game. First releases include Romans, Gauls and Carthaginians.
Vanth
"...there are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in thyne philosophy..."

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Oooh Carthaginians.....

Pvt weezle

Post by Pvt weezle »

Looking at Victrix Germans, they look really nice with lots of character and 60 figs for $47 from Badger games here in the states (Wisconsin). Now, the Badger site only has Early Imperial Romans. Would they work in Briton as well as Germany? Have to finish the book "Swamp Fox" how Francis Marion saved the American Revolution. Before starting my research proper.
Thanks for the help. Really excited to paint some hairy dudes.
Weezy

DougM

Post by DougM »

Generally speaking, no the Germans aren't suitable for Gallic/Briton armies (shields, clothing, hair and weapons are different). But seconding Vitrix. I have several of their sets and they are really good. I'd be very keen on an army in a box - especially for Carthaginian so I don't have to buy Greeks, Numidians, Spanish and elephants as well as the Carthaginian spearmen set.
---------------------------------------------
https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/
---------------------------------------------

redmist1122

Post by redmist1122 »

Check out OG25s....a lot of options with 30 figure in a bag. Haven't been disappoint ed in the line.
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA

Captain Reid

Post by Captain Reid »

Some 'Gauls' were quite Germanic, the cultural boundary not being very precise. So tribes like the Nervii were a lot more Germanic in culture (and hence likely dress, weaponry and method of fighting) than, say, the Carnutes. So you could potentially use the Victrix Germans as representing some of the Northwestern tribes that fought Caesar.

However they would be markedly less suitable for the 1st Century AD fighting in Britain. But there was just heaps of campaigning in Germany in the 1st Century AD. The Romans marched through it on punitive expeditions time and again, often penetrating quite deeply into the interior. So if that tickles your fancy, I'd get the German Victrix which do represent great value. And it means you could do a campaign focusing on escaping the aftermath of the Teutoburg Forest (and then a follow-up where Germanicus gives the Germans the hiding of their lives, followed by several other crushing defeats . . .)
The climate crisis has already been solved. We already have all the facts and solutions. All we have to do is to wake up and change. - Greta Thunberg

The Saindoux Campaign, French & Indian War blog

Cerro Manteca, Peninsular War blog.

Pvt weezle

Post by Pvt weezle »

Ok, so Germans it is! Fighting Early Imperial Romans, right? Looks like Victrix will be good to go for both and I can order close by as I live in Michigan.....
Appreciate all your comments and as always I am your most humble and obedient servant,
Pvt Weezle stationed at,
Freedom Hill, head waters of the Huron River