Battalion level WW2 Now called "O" Group or the story of "Oooooh"

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

dakkadakka

Re: Battalion level WW2 Now called "O" Group or the story of "Oooooh"

Post by dakkadakka »

Truscott - what are some of the differences you’ve seen between the two games? I have only seen a few videos of IABSM and the mechanics look very similar to CoC.

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Lots of differences with the scales and the card driven mechanisms
For example in IABSM you can have sections of AFV's moving and shooting for one command rather than spending 3 or 3 command son one vehicle

Have a look here https://www.vislardica.com/introduction-to-iabsm

O group is another level above IABSM and thus 2 levels above CoC

dakkadakka

Post by dakkadakka »

Thanks for the link. I have watched those videos before - in fact, they were what got me looking at IABSM. The turn sequence is indeed different from CoC in as much as it uses cards instead of dice to determine who goes next. From what I could tell the shoot table is different as well, although the roll for shock/kill is similar, as is the close combat mechanic.

One thing that hung me up a little is the whole mechanic of figuring out what kind of shot you’re taking. In solo play this obviously won’t be in issue (unless one suffers from multiple personality disorder 🤪). But, it seems like there could be a lot of disagreements between players regarding the quality of the shot. Is there any particular set of guidelines that are followed in the majority of situations? My game group likes having things spelled out in the form of rules/tables/modifiers, etc.

CoC is hands-down my favorite ww2 “skirmish” (if you will) Rules set. I guess two questions I have are - does IABSM have enough differences from CoC to provide that “zoomed out to the next level” experience? Second, I don’t have enough 15mm figures to field a company on each side; however, I do have quite a few 12mm figures based on FoW stands. Could I use each of those stands as a section/squad and mark the casualties, without having to do the 1:1 figure ratio?

Thanks for your input, and stay safe & well!

Regards,

Jim

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Hi Jim,

You should have no problem playing IABSM using multi-figure bases provided you can keep track of casualties. My IABSM forces are a mix of units originally based for FOW or PBI. If you have them I recommend the double dice frames produced by Warbases or Minibits. I use a white micro-dice to track Shock and a red one for casualties. Having separate stands for your Big Men, the Company and Platoon Officers and senior NCOs, is necessary, but again you can use an FOW command base for that, just ignore any surplus figures.

The simplest way to use the IABSM Fire table is to treat firing on a target moving in the open as a Great shot, any target in light cover or having taken cover (gone to ground) in the open as an OK shot, while a target in hard cover is a Poor shot. Easy and simple to understand.

Once you have experience of the rules you can then use the table to tweak the quality of a shot to reflect different circumstances if you wish, but you don’t have to.

IABSM is a different kind of game than Chain of Command even if some of the mechanics look familiar. You are operating at a different level of command where close coordination of combined arms is often the key to success. It’s rules are more streamlined than a CoC so one player can handle a company easily.

For solo games the blinds can actually work in your favour. Any terrain piece can be a blind for the defender and you could simply draw up some alternative deployments which you dice for when needed.

You might also want to take a look at the “Platoon Forward” solo play supplement written by Joe Legan originally for TFL’s earlier platoon level ruleset “Troops, Weapons and Tactics”. It’s easily adaptable for solo CoC games but the principles can be extended to IABSM by adjusting what troops each blind represents.

Hope that helps,

John

Truscott Trotter

Wow was writing a lengthy reply but John has summed it up amd in more detail! 😊

Definitely better prospects for solo play with cards etc but am thinking of having a look at platoon forwards for CoC myself.

dakkadakka

Post by dakkadakka »

Thanks guys - I really appreciate the info. I can always get a friendly and informative reply on this blog!😀

IABSM sounds like a definite purchase. Will look at the Platoon Forward Rules as well for solo stuff.

Regards,

Jim

Richard
Site Admin

Post by Richard »

The good thing is that a Company in IABSM is pretty much a battalion in O Group. You can use both rules with the same force. Although, being a lunatic, I am building up new 10mm forces for O Group.

Rich

Truscott Trotter

10mm or 12mm Rich?

Am gonna use some FoW 15mm I kept for "just in case"

Richard
Site Admin

Post by Richard »

12mm I think.

DCRBrown

Post by DCRBrown »

Jim,

A quick heads up re: O Group is that there is no requirement to note what unit is under/represented by a "Combat Patrol" (the rules have a new take on blinds and these patrols are really small recon teams, etc, rather than the standard wargame "dummies" or "blinds") or even if it is a simple dummy - as they can be both! (The only proviso being that they must be units from that company's sector.)

So, if you are playing solo this makes life much easier.

DB