Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Truscott Trotter

Re: Battalion level WW2 Now called "O" Group or the story of "Oooooh"

Post by Truscott Trotter »

No problem lots if excitement about Dave's new project so lots of posts

Tcpt1989

Post by Tcpt1989 »

Couple of questions (apologies if they’ve already been answered, but I didn’t see them working my way through the thread):

1. Do individual sections ever actually operate independently, or always as a platoon? The reason for asking is 2 medium FOW bases have the same frontage as 3 small FOW bases (give or take a millimetre), so I’d be minded to just use 2 medium bases in 15mm; and

2. Would it be viable to run on a 1:1 figure to man ratio in 6mm? If so, what basing format would be best?

Cheers!

Levi the Ox

Post by Levi the Ox »

Haven't followed the discussion of the rules closely enough to answer #1, but as to #2, here are some photos of my 1:1 6mm forces for N. Africa:

German 8th Independent MG Battalion

British 8th King's Royal Rifle Corps

Each stand is 1 squad on a 50x32mm base (i.e. a FoW Medium) with 7-11 figures, and each FO, platoon, and company HQ is 3-6 figures on a 32x25mm (i.e a FoW small). Most vehicles and guns also use the 32x25mm, with some smaller transport vehicles doubling up on medium bases instead.

If 1 stand = 1 squad in the core rules, I don't expect any issues using them for 'O' Group (and frankly I wouldn't rebase multiple 1:1 battalions for the sake of one ruleset if it didn't!).

If you've got any questions about the details of doing it that way I'm happy to help!

Tcpt1989

Post by Tcpt1989 »

Thanks Levi! I like the idea of 6mm, and your figures look great, but the regular guys I game with are less keen on another scale, so looks like 15mm will win the day (for now anyway!)

Levi the Ox

Post by Levi the Ox »

Ah, yep, makes sense they wouldn't want to convert if they already have some 15s. It's hard to balance the project you most want to do with the project you will be able to get the most games with.

I love these 6mm, but rarely get to play with them, and wouldn't at all if I wasn't providing both sides.

EDIT: If you put some thought in before basing, you can sometimes build a force that can do double-duty. My 6mm forces came about for Crossfire as I transitioned from 15mm scale, and those had been based at a 1:2 figure ratio so that by combining two platoons (HQ + 3 bases) I could create one 1:1 platoon. Or if you based at 1:3, each of your O Group platoons could double as a 1:1 squad for skirmish games.

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

AFAIK the number of figures are irrelevant, it is the bases per plt and an HQ stand for the Company HQ (not plt) so using 15mm on medium bases to avoid rebasing. I think the number of bases is more important than the actial frontage.

DCRBrown

Post by DCRBrown »

Tcpt1989,

Do individual sections ever actually operate independently, or always as a platoon?

A = Usually as a platoon but you can have individual heavy weapon sections such as MMGs, antitank, etc, operate as a single section.
Infantry platoons always operate as a platoon.

DB

Tcpt1989

Post by Tcpt1989 »

Perfect, thanks D!

alihashmtanker

Post by alihashmtanker »

Now the big question is "When?" :D

DougM

Post by DougM »