Battalion level WW2 Now called "O" Group or the story of "Oooooh"

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

siggian

Re: Battalion level WW2 Now called "O" Group or the story of "Oooooh"

Post by siggian »

I have a tonne of 6mm figures ready for action, so I'm very interested in these rules. I haven't found a good set of rule so far, but I'm hoping and optimistic that these will do the job.

joe.harrison89

Post by joe.harrison89 »

Any further news on the O group rules please? Any estimate of when we can get our hands on them?

DCRBrown

Post by DCRBrown »

J,

Yes, there's a few updates over on the General de Brigade website:

The latest is below:

As for progress the rules are done, we've had several play tests with gamers not involved in the design process, so approaching the rules afresh and it's interesting to hear their comments - fortunately all good! And their suggestions.

We've now settled on the final Actions list for Company Commanders and the Battalion HQ. To be honest there's been a great deal of revision and alteration here to ensure that the Actions list is both right and succinct, so now there's just 10 possible command actions and that we have the appropriate commands that are delivered at Company/Platoon level and Battalion level. Which is basically 6 Actions for the down and dirty boots on the ground commands that can be seen as Company Commanders supported by their platoon commanders getting the battle won, assisted by 4 Actions for the Battalion HQ, regarding artillery support and the committal of reserves. (The Battalion HQ also dictates the initial deployment of the companies and support assets along with their mission.)

We also "cracked" how we will meld hidden movement, hidden troop deployment and blinds/fog of war into one simple game mechanic. This also means that the attacker is often faced with an empty battlefield. However the defender is only required to write down deployments for ambush units, (which are generally just two or three units) so no other writing or map drawing is needed as this is now covered by the use of "Combat Patrol" markers or units.

Finally the Battalion Supports List are also done, enabling players to field a basic battalion and use points to add additional supports. There is however nothing to stop players simply following a historical order of battle for an engagement if they prefer.

We are still looking at a release at Salute.

DB

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Thanks for the update.
Was wondering how the rules would interact with historical OOB's

joe.harrison89

Post by joe.harrison89 »

Thanks for the update Dave.

The sound excellent! That will be 3 of my 6 playing periods cornered by DB rules!!

Much appreciated...

DCRBrown

Post by DCRBrown »

For a bit more on O Group see Rich's Twitter feed over on the TFL homepage.

DB

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Thanks for the heads up Dave

DCRBrown

Post by DCRBrown »

More O Group WW2 action over on the GdB site.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/general ... t6933.html

This covers the Operation Charnwood game that Richard put on a week ago, as he and Nick put the rules through a historical stress test!

DB

Nick B

Post by Nick B »

Really pleased to see a historical scenario put though it's paces. Looking forward to these immensly.

I like the pre-game ideas on preparedness/barrage effect etc - adds a little fog of war.

DCRBrown

Post by DCRBrown »

Thanks Nick.