Truscott Trotter

Re: Battalion level WW2 Now called "O" Group or the story of "Oooooh"

Post by Truscott Trotter »

As Sgt Major Shutup would say
"Wait fir it!'

Dragoon

Post by Dragoon »

O group seems to be what I’ve been looking for.
Just a few questions.

The table you are using with Richard :-
A). What size is the table ?
B). What scale are the figures, tanks and buildings.?
C). Compared to Flames of war are there more figures in a battalion ?
How does it compare in detail of the mechanics of the game. ie. is FoW more simplified to arrive at a result and more to the point does O group represent command levels that puts the player in the roll of the colonel in charge of the force?
What I expected looking for is where I as colonel give the orders to each company and requests for support of armour, artillery and air.
Then as a player/company commander obey the orders as a separate entity for each company.

Hope I’ve explained my queries

siggian

Post by siggian »

Not Dave, but I can have a stab at the answers given what we know about the game from the videos and Rich's Twitter feed:

A) I suspect that it will work nicely on the gaming "standard" table of 6x4. I think that is the size of the table in the 3 part video. I don't see why it wouldn't work on a larger table though as I've seen Pickett's Charge and GdA work on a larger table and they are roughly the same game engine.

B) Since the game works by stand or base rather than figure, the scale should not matter. I suspect that smaller scales like 6mm, 10mm, and 12mm will be less visually jarring given the scope of the game. Even 2mm and 3mm would be visually appropriate. 15mm should work fine too but might seem a little large relative to the game scale.

C) I don't know FOW all that well, but I suspect that you can easily use FOW bases and vehicles as O Group stands and vehicles.

D) I haven't played FOW so I won't give my opinion on that. From my experience with PC and GdA, I will say that while a player can do a lot of different things with the individual stands, the command structure encourages the player to not mix units from multiple commands. I particularly like the encouragement to use lines of advance, reserves, and how follow up units take over an attack, which very much is in line with how units fought in WW2.

Peter

Post by Peter »

Good answers, Siggian, which can be best summed up by "Watch the video". It's very informative.

Darren

Post by Darren »

Hi Dragoon,

I've played FOW. I will be up front and state that I've playing FOW and now play I aren't been shot mum (IABSM). In my opinion ISBSM is a better set of rules than FOW.

These are my thought on your questions.
A) I've used both FOW and IABSM on a 6x6 table, I intend to use the same size table for O-Group.
B) I use my FOW models for IABSM without rebasing. I will be using the same models and my 15mm terrain for O-Group. Having said that, I have some 6mm models I will also use for O-Group.
C) Bearing in mind that FOW is a company level game and O-Group is a battalion level game the figure scale will be different. This being the case, an FOW. Company should equal an O-Group battalion. For example, I'm thinking that a single FOW base would become an O-Group section. And an FOW platoon would be an O-Group Company.
D) The game mechanics between FOW and IABSM/O-Group are significantly different. Like all Lardies rules IABSM/O-Group requires the player to think like an infantry commander and use historical combat tactics. In my opinion you don't need to think like infantry commander or use historical combat tactics to play FOW. This because FOW is game based on WW2, rather than a historical/tactical simulation which is what all Lardies rules are. This reflects the Lardies ethos of "play the period not the rules".

Regards
Darren

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

I will be using FOW bases also 3 to a platoon same as those little bases in the video.

DCRBrown

Post by DCRBrown »

Below are three FoW US bases: - so for O Group this translates into a US platoon of three sections.

DB