Map drawing software

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

IanKH

Map drawing software

Post by IanKH »

I've looked and looked and I can't find any software designed for drawing battlefield maps for scenarios. I'm sure there must be something out there but I have no idea where or what. Just a decent drawing program that isn't going to break my bank would be fine. I've tried photoshop (with which I'm pretty skilled) but it just doesn't cut it as a dedicated drawing tool.

Any suggestions welcome.
Cheers.

HAMMERST3IN

Re: Map drawing software

Post by HAMMERST3IN »

I've been using the products of ProFantasy Software, but mostly for Tabletop Roleplaying Games.

Bishop2K7

Post by Bishop2K7 »

Since you are already familiar with Photoshop, have you tried Adobe Illustrator? That's what I have used to make maps in the past.

IanKH

Post by IanKH »

HAMMERST3IN wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 4:31 pm
I've been using the products of ProFantasy Software, but mostly for Tabletop Roleplaying Games.
I have Inkarnate for fantasy maps which is pretty good for what it does.
Bishop2K7 wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 5:58 pm
Since you are already familiar with Photoshop, have you tried Adobe Illustrator? That's what I have used to make maps in the past.
Yeah, I've thought about Illustrator but I don't really like the program. Also, I'm not keen on the continuous payments. I already have an Adobe account for Photoshop which is questionable cost-wise, but I do use Photoshop a lot. I'm not keen on a continuous stream of more money.

HAMMERST3IN

Post by HAMMERST3IN »

Theres Affinity Designer, which is trying to be an alternative to adobe illustrator. The rest of their products try to provide alternatives for other adobe products as well. Theres no continous payments and right now they are having a 50% off sale since February.
I've been using Affinity Publisher for PDFs such as small supplements for games and I have used it for my very own IABSM Card Deck for Operation Compass. Most people say it's easy to get into, especially if you are familiar with adobe products.

IanKH

Post by IanKH »

HAMMERST3IN wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 5:02 pm
Theres Affinity Designer, which is trying to be an alternative to adobe illustrator. The rest of their products try to provide alternatives for other adobe products as well. Theres no continous payments and right now they are having a 50% off sale since February.
I've been using Affinity Publisher for PDFs such as small supplements for games and I have used it for my very own IABSM Card Deck for Operation Compass. Most people say it's easy to get into, especially if you are familiar with adobe products.
Hmmm... Thanks for that. I have a look.

Ivan Zaitzev

Post by Ivan Zaitzev »

There is a free alternative to Photoshop called Gimp, it's a different beast, but it's free and enough to create maps.

IanKH

Post by IanKH »

Ivan Zaitzev wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 11:57 am
There is a free alternative to Photoshop called Gimp, it's a different beast, but it's free and enough to create maps.
Ivan,
I've tried GIMP in the past and it drives me up the wall. I've never been able to work it out. Maybe it's just a matter of putting in a bit more effort.

Vanth

Post by Vanth »

HAMMERST3IN wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 5:02 pm
Theres Affinity Designer, which is trying to be an alternative to adobe illustrator.
Also Inkscape can be used for the same purpose
Vanth
"...there are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in thyne philosophy..."