Is there a co-op/solo-only historical miniatures game out there?

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

hedgehobbit

Is there a co-op/solo-only historical miniatures game out there?

Post by hedgehobbit »

My friend and I were talking about O' Group and I thought that the command system would work great for a co-op miniatures game where each player played a company commander (or similar) working against a randomly generated AI enemy. Does such a game exist?

I'm not looking for a two-player game with an AI bot, but a game that can only be played from one side where both the composition and location of the enemy troops are hidden from the players. Similar to boardgames like Patton's Best or Ambush.
karl1809

Re: Is there a co-op/solo-only historical miniatures game out there?

Post by karl1809 »

As a solo gamer exclusively your post caught my attention. I have never come across a game such as you mentioned. I also played Patton's Best, Ambush and other such board games way back and I suppose with some tinkering it might be possible to transfer them to an on-table game. I generally use the old tried and trusted methods for my solo games but I understand this is not what you seek. There is however a book by C.S. Grant, Programmed Wargame Scenarios, which deals with the very point you raise, a programmed enemy, whose composition is unknown at the outset and even the terrain over which the action is to be fought is also unknown and generated randomly. I have my copy for many many years now though I think it may still be available periodically on Ebay. Hope this helps.
Munin

Post by Munin »

I've played a lot of Lardies games solo, and most of them work really well in that context. Chain of Command is particularly good, especially if you randomize supports on one or both sides.
Levi the Ox

Post by Levi the Ox »

hedgehobbit wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:33 pm I'm not looking for a two-player game with an AI bot, but a game that can only be played from one side where both the composition and location of the enemy troops are hidden from the players. Similar to boardgames like Patton's Best or Ambush.
The closest I can think of is Joseph McCullough's "Rangers of Shadowdeep", which is an evolution of his head-to-head game "Frostgrave" for co-op play. (Edit: and it's not that close, but it's the only real example of a co-op-only miniatures game.)

Ultimately, some sort of rules are needed to determine what the NPC units do, and those units will usually use the same core mechanics as those controlled by the player (especially since in historical settings the player could easily be on either side). Since players (or a gamemaster) still have to resolve those mechanics themselves according to the game's instructions, what difference are you looking for between that and "a two-player game with an AI bot"?

I highly recommend "Platoon Forward" and "Adjutant Introuvable", both individually and especially in combination, for solo play with existing rulesets.
hedgehobbit

Post by hedgehobbit »

Levi the Ox wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:48 pmwhat difference are you looking for between that and "a two-player game with an AI bot"?
There are two reasons why I would prefer a dedicated solo game over a two-player game played solo.

Firstly, and most importantly, it would allow me to play a game where I don't know exactly what enemy I will be encountering. Normally you'd need at least three players (i.e. a ref) for this to work.

Secondly, if one side is all AI, you can make a game that has an asymmetrical combat system. Enemy troops can use a simple Up/Down resolution while friendly troops receiving fire can keep track of things like wounds, medics, and vehicle damage.
Peter

Post by Peter »

Various Two Hour Wargames rules have solo options, patrolling with unknown enemy a possibility. The reaction system makes solo play a reasonable option. Many periods available.
Flinty

Post by Flinty »

Ah - there was a WWII system written by Martin England called the 'Threat Generation System', published in Miniature Wargames, issue 373, May 2014. I can't stress how brilliant a concept this is. Imagine back issues are available from Henry's website.

Whilst Grant's programmed scenarios are great, replayability is tricky. This system is infinitely replayable. It's based on a where is it, what is it and whats it doing basis, using a 'compass' to generate the location/direction of random units in an enemy force which you may or may not spot, and which may or may not spot you. In the article, the author describes a game where he's believably/convincingly ambushed by an enemy unit - proof of concept. Should work with any ruleset.

I am a huge fan of this system and have bolted it on to quite a few 20th Century rules to get a solo game - theortectically works with any period where individual unit command/action existed - so back to ACW skirmish maybe?
Capt Fortier

Post by Capt Fortier »

There is Pony Wars by the late Ian Beck and co, which I understand is going through a reproduction at the moment (see https://ponywars.uk/), and which sets up a cooperative game where the players are the US cavalry vs Indians who are controlled by game mechanisms. The late Peter Gilder built on these to do something similar for the Sudan (The Sands of the Sudan) and which have been reproduced and self-published by Carlo Pagano. There is something similar again with Mr Babbage's instructions (essentially a programmed enemy for solo play) in Osprey's colonial rules, The Men Who Would Be Kings.
Capt Fortier

“Frapper l'ennemi, c'est bien. Frapper l'imagination, c'est mieux.” - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny
karl1809

Post by karl1809 »

Flinty wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:45 pm Ah - there was a WWII system written by Martin England called the 'Threat Generation System', published in Miniature Wargames, issue 373, May 2014. I can't stress how brilliant a concept this is. Imagine back issues are available from Henry's website
I understand what you say about Grant. I have only recently become aware of Martin England's "Threat Generation System" and following on from your post I have just downloaded a digital edition of the issue. It looks really interesting, thank you very much for the heads-up on this. Looking forward to giving it a run on table soon.
Capt Fortier

Post by Capt Fortier »

I second Karl1809's thanks to Flinty - I've tracked down the "Threat Generation System" and think it has some real promise
Capt Fortier

“Frapper l'ennemi, c'est bien. Frapper l'imagination, c'est mieux.” - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny