french revolutionary wars

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

CiDevant

french revolutionary wars

Post by CiDevant »

Hello
I am new to this page and would welcome your patience, so here goes I am looking for the best set of rules to fight engagements and battles in the French Revolutionary wars for Flanders or Italy
I have just purchased a set of Sharps Practice Rules after reading a 'Rev Wars enthusiast's' Blogg write ups on various engagements he has put together.
I have also seen passed posts on this site that refer to a new set of rules in the pipeline that would best suit the period.
Hope someone can help
Thanks in advance

Archdukek

Re: french revolutionary wars

Post by Archdukek »

Welcome to the Forum.

The Sharp Practice rules will work well for smaller engagements in the French Revolutionary Wars. However, for larger battles you might want to check out the “La Feu Sacre” rules on the TFL website. It is designed for much larger games up to Corps level in the period from 1792-1815.
You could also try the newer “General D’Armee” rules published under the Reisswitz Press banner on the TFL site, though its focus on on the later part of the era once Napoleon took charge they should still work.

I’m guessing that the previous posts about a new set of rules for the period under development you’ve found where ones for a set being worked on by one of the authors of La Feu Sacre which I was involved in playtesting. They ran into the sand and I’m not aware of any current plans to publish them.

Hope that helps,

John

CiDevant

Post by CiDevant »

Hello
Thanks for your reply
I have now purchased the LFS Rules in a Pdf format and having read through them they appear to hit the mark for me , they certainly appreciate the different aspects of the Revolutionary Wars in terms of troop types, tactical formations and command and control differences I am looking forward to play testing them
However I seem to be struggling to get /buy a set of "The Card Deck" which appears essential to using the rules
Can you advise me where can I purchase these
Hope you can help
Malc

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Hi Malc,
LFS is quite an old set of rules and I don’t think TFL ever sold a set of cards for it. Nor can I find any downloads in the LFS part of the Files section of the TooFatLardies Groups.io site.
I do have a set of very pretty cards bought from artscow.com who are based in Hong Kong but I can’t find a link to them on their site. To be honest there are way more cards than you would ever need.

It’s very easy to make your own by writing or printing what you need onto some self adhesive paper, cut them out and stick them onto some cheap playing cards. Or write or print them on some blank business cards.
These days I prefer to use chips rather than cards for TFL games which need them since they are easier to shuffle in a bag to get a random draw. They are easy to make using either MDF circles or, my preference, cheap plastic poker chips picked up in a charity shop or from Amazon. I use a Dymo label maker for mine but self adhesive labels work to.

John

CiDevant

Post by CiDevant »

HI JOHN
I DIDNT REALISE THE LFS WAS AN OLD SET OF RULES AS I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR A SET THAT SUITS THE REVOLUTIONARY WARS FOR A WHILE WITHOUT SUCCESS AND FROM WHAT I HAVE NOW READ THEY DO IN MY VIEW

THIS SET OF RULES HAS OBVIOUSLY PASSED ME BY PREVIOUSLY

LIKE THE IDEA OF USING CHIPS IN A BAG AND WILL GO THAT ROUTE

THE RULES ARE NOT TOO SPECIFIC ABOUT HOW THE CARDS/CHIPS ARE DRAWN COULD YOU HELP ME WITH THE FOLLOWING;

A) ARE THEY DRAWN BY EACH SIDE ALTERNATIVELY AS A GENERAL CONVENTION ?
B) DOES THIS MEAN THAT ONE SIDE CAN GET A NUMBER OF CARDS DRAWN FOR THEM CONSECUTIVELY AND THUS MAY END UP MOVEING MORE OF ITS FORCES BEFORE ITS OPPOSITION CAN ?
C) DO EACH SIDE HAVE A SINGLE BOLD AND SINGLE CAUTIOUS CARD . WHERE AN ARMY HAS MORE THAN ONE BOLD COMMANDER DOES THE C IN C DECIDES WHICH GENERAL IT WILL BE APPLIED TO ?
D) I NOTE THERE APPEARS TO BE NO" GRAND TACTICAL " CARD FOR THE ALLIES - IS THIS CORRECT ?

FINALLY IS THERE A WEBSITE THAT SPECIFICALLY DEALS WITH THE LFS RULES AND GAMES PLAYED ETC, I TRIED THE OBVIOUS ONE BUT SEEM TO HAVE TROUBLE GETTING THROUGH TO IT ON YAHOO

MY APOLOGIES FOR BEING A BIT TEDIOUS WITH THIS BUT IT IS A KEY POINT OF THE RULES THAT I NEED CLARIFICATION ON
I HOPE YOU CAN HELP AND ONCE AGAIN THANKS IN ADVNCE
MALC

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Hi Malc,
Happy to help where I can, but I haven’t play LFS for a long times so bear with me.

A) There is no general convention that I’m aware of on how cards or chips should be drawn in TFL games, it’s left to the players to decide what works for them. If I’m running and umpiring a game I will usually draw any chips. If I’m playing with an opponent we will either draw chips alternatively or one of us draws all chips in one turn then passes the bag over to the other player to draw them next turn. If using cards whoever is nearest flips over the top card of the deck. It makes no difference to the game.

B) Yes the random draw mechanism means that one side might be able to activate some or all of its commanders before the opposition can. That’s part of the battlefield friction built into the game - one side has seized the initiative so make the most of it when it happens. Of course if one side gets a run of cards/chips early on then the opponent can expect a run of his cards/chips later. (One reason I prefer using chips is that it usually avoids repeated runs which can happen if cards aren’t shuffled properly.)

C) Whether a side gets a Bold or Cautious card at all depends on whether they have a Commander with that characteristic. Usually there would only be one such card in the deck per side and the player decides which Gifted/Bold Commander it applies to if more than one is present. In the case of a Cautious/Poor Commander it will apply to the first of those whose own command card is drawn. Remember a Commander can only be activated once in a turn so if activated on a Bold card then he does nothing when his own card is drawn and vice versa.

If it suited a particular scenario you could put additional Bold/Cautious cards in the deck but I’d be very cautious about doing so.

D) Yes there is no “Grand Tactical” card for the Allies. That reflects the author’s view that the French in the period usually displayed greater flexibility and battlefield manoeuvrability than its opponents. If you disagree then leave it out or if you think an Allied Commander displayed such agility in a particular battle, like perhaps Wellington at Salamanca, then put one in.

As I said it’s been a while (2009) since the current 3rd Edition version of LFS was published so any links might be out of date. You could ask on the LFS section of this Forum but traffic there is very light. The TFL Yahoo Group has largely become defunct since Yahoo withdrew its support for such groups. You will, however, find that the group activity and files have been transferred to the TooFatLardies Groups.io site where you will find some limited resources for LFS. Try here : https://groups.io/g/TooFatLardies

At one time Fat Wally’s website, which I think is owned by Zippee Jerred, had various LFS material. You will find it here: http://www.fat-wally.com/LeFeuSacre.html

Hope that helps,

John

CiDevant

Post by CiDevant »

Hi John
Many thanks for your reply and its a great help, luckily i have managed to be in touch with an Italian Group who use LFS Rules and they have been very helpful
I shall start using them now despite feeling like a dinosaur for not finding them earlier for my Revolutionary Armies
Thanks again
Malc

CiDevant

Post by CiDevant »

Hi John I Hope you can help as I currently I am awaiting membership to the io/group above
I have noted from reading chats on that group that there is something called
"The Thoughts of Chairman Daz" that was produced by Bob Hewson it was on the old Yahoo site under " Hints Tips & FAQ's "
Do you know anyone out there in LFS land that could direct me to how i could get hold of this info

Finally are there any good Revolutionary War Scenarios around for LFS

Sorry to be a nuisance but hope you can help
Thanks in advance
Malc

JimLeCat

Post by JimLeCat »

Hi,

All of the resources from the old TFL yahoo group were transferred to the new io group, so you should find it there when Rich approves your membership (he's a bit busy atm, as he often is).

If it isn't there (it might have been on the old LFS yahoo group), I can send you a copy if you let me have your email address.

Cheers,
Jim

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Hi Malc,

There is an FAQ in the LFS section of the Files on the Groups.io site which was posted by Darren Green (Dr Daz) the author of the rules back in 2004 so it will relate to one of the earlier editions of the rules. I can’t see anything by BoB Hewson so you might want to take Jim up on his offer. I don’t have a copy.

John