Battalion level WW2 Now called "O" Group or the story of "Oooooh"

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

donglewwe

Re: Battalion level WW2 Now called "O" Group or the story of "Oooooh"

Post by donglewwe »

re: basing and figure size

In trying to decide on how to best address this with my existing stuff (6mm based for Crossfire / IABSM and 15mm based for CoC) in the hopes of having to do as little work as possible to get a game onto the table once the rules are out (Easter can't come soon enough!) I looked to the ground scale for guidance since I normally like to keep the stand/figure footprint as near to its actual impact on the tabletop.

If the 1"=25m that Rich mentioned (somewhere in this thread iirc) is true, then I think I can get by with using my 15mm CoC stuff as-is and just have a single figure representing a section without any further basing work. My 8mm figure bases translate to an approximate section footprint of 25' which sounds okay to me?

The main advantage to adopting this would be that I wouldn't have to do any basing work at all - no small prize for one as lazy as myself! Another benefit, I think, would be in transferring historical map data onto the tabletop, since less allowance/fudging would have to be done to provide room in the terrain features for oversize bases. I've enjoyed the ease of this sort of system in laying out tables for IABSM and CoC as all that's required is a tracing of a map (as from a historical battlemap or even just GoogleEarth) plunked onto the board.

Granted, having a single figure representing a section stretches the illusion one must translate from tabletop to reality (as for example, from what is shown in the video where three figures represent a section) but I think the benefits might be worth it? dunno...more pondering is called for, I just thought to throw the idea out there to see what others think.

mgluteus

Post by mgluteus »

I am planning on using my 15mm figures based for Cross Fire - they are all set to go except for some "headquarters stands". I have US, German, North Korea, China so can do WWII and Korean war (WWII with 2 directions - up and down).

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

I am planning on using my 15mm based for FoW
Lazy for the win 😂

Peter

Post by Peter »

I already have 15mm Early War... so I had to add a couple of late war battalions. :o

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

A battalion appears to be 27 or 36 bases.
So I might struggle with the Germans, but the US and Soviets I have left should be right.

CTP99

Post by CTP99 »

Hoping to get some information on how universal carriers can be added. I have a large box unbuilt at the moment and wondering what configurations to build them in.

Peter

Post by Peter »

I also had a box of 15mm PSC carriers. I didn't want to wait, so I reckoned a Wasp, an AOP and a Vickers carrier, then 6 others as a mix of standard, 2" and 3" mortars must be OK. The 3" mortar doesn't stand out as a heavy weapon option IMO.

John P

Post by John P »

Well we will see when rules come out or Dave chooses to share his OOB. My thoughts are that the carrier platoon consisted of 4 sections of 3 vehicles one of which could be wasps. The carrier section could dismount the equivalent of an infantry section. So platoon of 4 carriers each able a infantry section with the option to convert 1 section to a wasp.

DCRBrown

Post by DCRBrown »

Carrier Platoon = 1 x Infantry platoon (3 sections) + 1 x PIAT section + 3 x carriers.

Obviously you can alter this to suite your scenario or preferences, including adding a Wasp to the platoon.

DB

CTP99

Post by CTP99 »

So 3 Universal Carriers for a full Infantry Platoon. 9 for a full Company.

And PIAT section? I thought PIATs where incorporated into a Platoon or can you add a section as a support option?