Battalion level WW2 Now called "O" Group or the story of "Oooooh"

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Nick B

Re: Battalion level WW2 Now called "O" Group or the story of "Oooooh"

Post by Nick B »

Dave,

If I can add my requests - it would be great to understand:

1. Game set up and scenarios - pick up game?
2. Victory conditions (e.g. break point versus objectives driven, turn limits etc)
3. My understanding is that the lists will be for late war (1944-ish) and the 4 main protagonists - how easy will it be do do your favourite periods and develop lists eg Far East or 1940 BEF? or are supplements planned in early course?

And finally - the obvious question - release date?

Cheers

Nick

DCRBrown

Post by DCRBrown »

N,

1 - Game set up and scenarios - pick up game?

A = Like most games you can play using a specific scenario or simply pitch two opposing battalions into battle.

Deployment is determined by an initial set of deployment dice rolls, permitting the players a certain amount of ambush (hidden) units if the defender or on table units if the attacker, both sides will also gain a certain amount of combat patrols.
If you score well consider this as your Battalion having sufficient time to prepare a good attack or defence plan. If you roll poorly then you've been ordered into the attack before you've had time to prepare thoroughly or you've been caught out by a surprise attack.

These deployments are adjusted by such things as defences or your scenario, so if holding say a sophisticated defensive line, the defender will gain additional ambush units, etc.

All remaining units are in reserve off table. These represent your Company and Battalion reserves and can be brought into action from turn 1 or as your scenario dictates.

2. Victory conditions (e.g. break point versus objectives driven, turn limits etc)

A = It has all three; players can choose to play using a break point or scenario objectives and/or number of turns. More usually games will have objectives, so your companies can have objectives or phase lines set at the beginning of the game. As they take each objective/phase line, they have the potential to consolidate and/or reinforce.
However increasing losses will impact upon the ability of the battalion to carry out its plan. A key mechanism is that as a battalion takes casualties it loses command dice, making control more difficult. However the player does have the option to ignore this and maintain his original number of command dice, but if the player uses this override option he risks a serious break down in command and control.

3. My understanding is that the lists will be for late war (1944-ish) and the 4 main protagonists - how easy will it be do your favourite periods and develop lists e.g. Far East or 1940 BEF? or are supplements planned in early course?

A = Correct but the lists are a guide and for points based games, they are not essential to play a game. So, if you are playing a scenario say from 1940 you simply add on the battalion support assets required for the game, you don't need to use the lists. Having said that as we produce different scenario pdfs, they'll each have a campaign/points list for the protagonists.

DB

CarlL

Post by CarlL »

DB,
Command and control? Is the key, I have limited knowledge of COC, IABSM, and TWT; as mainly bought / solo played TOTW, ITLSU, and multi player played Le Feu Sacre. So I wonder how these Btn level rules tackled C&C.?
The tank v tank warfare at the higher level of these rules would be interesting too, although not a tankee myself, I sometimes found the Armoured warfare aspects of the skirmish based rules quite glib. I suppose they are not glib but attempts to create playability. However the development of armour from 1939 to 1945 requires rules to cope with limitations of early tanks and hitting power of later tanks as well as the early monsters like KV1.
I think the other aspect to interest me in the rule mechanics would be how the rules manage movement in an era when shooting ranges could be huge but infantry battles (at least in terrain other than open plains) might be fought at 300 yards / metres or less for riflemen, who remained the troops expected to hold ground and often to seize ground where cover was available to enemy.
I think thats me had my three chances!
CarlL

DCRBrown

Post by DCRBrown »

C,

1. Command and control?

There a quite a few mechanisms that impact upon command and control. The player takes the role of both Battalion and Company commands, issuing orders and actions at both levels. Each turn the players will receive a certain amount of orders. These orders are your command tools to instruct your various units, (such as platoons, artillery, etc,) to fight the battle, to conduct reconnaissance, to move, fire, etc. However, there is no guarantee how many orders you will receive per turn and it is highly unlikely that you will be able to issue orders to every unit on the table. As such players will need to prioritise which units receive orders in a particular turn, judging what area of the battle is critical at this moment in time.
In addition there will be many occasions in the game when players are also making "tactical wargame" decisions down at platoon level, as the very nature of playing a miniatures based wargame using platoons as tactical units to create the granularity and challenge of WW2 combat, means that the player has to make these moves and position individual units as our miniatures, however well painted, cannot do this by themselves.... ;)

2. The development of armour from 1939 to 1945 requires rules to cope with limitations of early tanks and hitting power of later tanks as well as the early monsters like KV1.

All AFVs have a gun firepower rating and armour factor rating. In addition AFVs can also be classed as poor to account for inferior tank design and as such suffer disadvantages when spotting and firing, e.g. French one man turrets or Russians tanks.

3. How the rules manage movement in an era when shooting ranges could be huge but infantry battles (at least in terrain other than open plains) might be fought at 300 yards / metres or less for riflemen, who remained the troops expected to hold ground and often to seize ground where cover was available to enemy.

Not quite sure what you mean by this one? Are you referring to fire and movement tactics or battlefield ranges or terrain effects?

DB

CarlL

Post by CarlL »

Thank you DB. I shall look forward to buying a copy and trying these out.
re 3.
I was thinking of fire and movement.
The relationship between infantry movement potential, and how this is managed, (eg I understand that COC gives potential for two phases of activity, and for a rush forward by platoon) and small arms ranges, inc LMG & HMG, which can be used to create dead ground / killing fields and pin down attackers. (Again using COC example, this uses lots of dice to hit and more dice to convert hits into kills and shock, and [is it IABSM?] pinning to prevent movement & firing.)
I was just trying to understand how this is managed.
CarlL

DCRBrown

Post by DCRBrown »

C,

Players can use fire and movement tactics; so can put down fire with their fire platoon and then move with their manoeuvre platoon.
As units take hits, they test morale and each failure (shock) reduces both their fire and move ability.

Without going into all the sexy details, there is a limited potential within the rules to issue units with a secondary action, which if played right can be very useful indeed, in getting platoons into good fire or flanking positions or even into close combat.

If you have units in good fire positions these generally have a better range and can form a useful firebase to permit infantry to move up or simply to cover/deny an area of ground.

DB

Tomm

Post by Tomm »

*flutters eyelashes*

Any idea on timeframe for release?

DCRBrown

Post by DCRBrown »

No fixed date, but hopefully not too long after Infamy/Infamy.

DB