Think Frankie Howard :?

Peter

Re: ANCIENT SHARP PRACTICE

Post by Peter » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:30 pm

Infamy!

Warburton

Post by Warburton » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:49 pm

This is excellent. I would certainly buy a copy. I have a bunch of late-Republican Romans I was actually considering getting rid of a few weeks ago... Now I want to add to them!

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:28 am

Actually I misremember it was Kenneth Williams

Snowcat

Post by Snowcat » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:53 am

Warburton wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:49 pm
This is excellent. I would certainly buy a copy. I have a bunch of late-Republican Romans I was actually considering getting rid of a few weeks ago... Now I want to add to them!
My very point. :)
"When one goes, one must go with style."

Jfuller39

Post by Jfuller39 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:37 am

I actually have been looking at Warlord’s SPQR but the rules and gameplay seemed bogged down by something I can’t quite put my finger on. But that starter box is gorgeous and I want to paint Romans...I’ll be buying these rules too. Can’t wait.

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:18 pm

Your finger is on warlord rules.

hendrik

Post by hendrik » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:13 am

Seems these ancients didn't manage to cut off all heads of this beast in 1 go :D

RichardL99

Post by RichardL99 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:24 am

John_savage_uk wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:58 pm
I can’t speak for Rich, but I know he is interested in Romans v various hairy barbarian types. So far I’ve got list for Early Imperial Romans, Britons, Germans and Dacians which we are working on. A few small tweaks to the Roman list should bring Caesarian and Britons to Gauls so these are likely to be added as well. We both want to do Republican Roman so bring in Carthage, Spanish etc for a Punic War themed set of lists. This then potentially brings in Successors. There are some fundamental issues with pike armies though in SP (or any skirmish game really) but plenty of opportunities to bring in light troops, hypapists etc which for raids, scouting missions etc which would suit the scale of SP better. However I know Rich has little interest in Eastern armies such as Parthians or Sassanids. Going further back to Greeks and Persians does have interest for me (and given the success of games like Mortal Gods I would suggest there would potentially be demand for this as well (albeit you’ve similar issues with representing hoplite warfare).

Personally I want to push SP forward as well. I’ve drafted a Dark Age list which includes Saxons, Vikings and Norman’s and as I’ve said before I want to do an early Medieval list (including a band of forest dwelling outlaws). Although again Rich has indicated he doesn’t see SP Ancients going much past 500AD. Having said that once you’ve got the core mechanics nailed it would be relatively easy for a range of official list written by others in the same way as the force selectors work for CoC.

Having said all that the one thing that I have realized is it takes time to pull these together. Principally in the play testing. So none of this is going to happen overnight.

Hopefully we’ll get the core rules and “armies and enemies of Rome” done fairly quickly. If these are a commercial success for Rich and there is clear customer demand then who knows where this could go! I know Rich has already said no to Sumerians, but what’s not to like about mule chariots 😂! Maybe Nick can be persuaded to do a version of “What a Tanker” for Assyrian and Egyptian chariots! 🤔 Now there’s an idea!

As a big fan of Sharp Practice this project looks very exciting!
And as the organiser of The Society of Ancients Conference in Kenilworth over the weekend of 2nd/3rd November, it would be great if someone wanted to bring the current playtest rules and test them with a bunch of Ancient diehards! If there is any interest in this, please do contact me.

Richard

agent_pumpkin

Post by agent_pumpkin » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:58 am

I've been seeing some test games for this on Twitter, and they look great fun. I'm really excited for this.
Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the kingdom of idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts.