CdS in 28mm

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Nellkyn, Laffe

john de terre neuve

CdS in 28mm

Post by john de terre neuve »

Hi, this is a copy of a post from CdS FB, I am trying to get the largest range of opinion possible before I plunge into Vietnam wargaming.
Thanks for allowing me to join your group. I am a long time TFL player and thinking about getting into Vietnam wargaming. I game CoC in 20mm and am quite happy with that but I have to say some of the 28mm VN figures are really quite nice but I am having real problems visualising playing CDS in 28mm with 4 times as many figures and vehicles/choppers 30-40% larger then 20mm. I did a search here but I am mostly seeing some beautiful painting but not a lot of descriptions of 28mm CDS gaming. I have not played IABSM (similar scale to CDS) but if I have it right most players are not playing this at a 1 to 1 scale.
Any thoughts?
John
Archdukek

Re: CdS in 28mm

Post by Archdukek »

Hi John,
Like IABSM, “Charlie Don’t Surf” is a company level game with a 1:1 figure to man ratio. Depending on the scenario you could potentially see a Company HQ and up to 3 Platoons of 30-40 men each on the table. That’s a lot of figures to try to field in 28mm and would need a very large table.

I dare say you could try to play it at a different ratio.

Did you know that there is a player created Vietnam variant for Chain of Command called “DMZ” which would be well suited to play in either 28mm or 20mm.

John
john de terre neuve

Re: CdS in 28mm

Post by john de terre neuve »

Hi John, thanks for the time taken in your response. Ninety men per side in 28 mm before supports certainly does sound like a challenge.

I have found DMZ and it's French-Indochine variant on line and I indeed believe it would be much more suitable for 28 mm. I also noticed that Empress Miniatures is planning to put out a ruleset for it's VW miniature line.

Thanks,

John