Hi guys,

Question in the subject.

cheers

Dirk
Archdukek

Re: Firing small arms at AFV's does this count as a ambush

Post by Archdukek »

Hi Dirk,
Opening fire from an unspotted Blind or hidden cover is an Ambush. However, small arms fire can’t cause any Shock on an AFV so there is no effect of applying the Ambush rule in 7.13.

John
dirk bracke

Post by dirk bracke »

Hi John,
I'll have to rephrase. The VC have to ambush twice for their military objective in this scenario. I found it rather strange that shooting without any real chance of a result should also count as an ambush; then again it literaly is an ambush according to the phrasing of the rule.
Cheers
Dirk
Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Hi Dirk,
I’d agree with you. Small arms fire against an AFV wouldn’t meet the definition for an Ambush objective in my view either. It would need to be able to achieve some kind of result to count.

The scenario is described as a”Three Strongs Mission” which in the rule book is described as an attempt to inflict maximum damage on the enemy. That’s consistent with the statement in the VC briefing for the scenario which makes clear that the aim of the VC is to”strike hard” at the enemy. To me that means attempting to do some real damage on an enemy squad not opening fire with small arms at an AFV.

John
talagarz

Post by talagarz »

Hi,

I still think is is an ambush as is has a chance of a result. (in this case the acav had to move full speed out of the ambush). I get that there are no casuatlies possible, but as it is now positioned within 4" of the ambushing unit there is again a chance to take it out. (no ambush as they are not hidden anymore because of close range).
Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Hi Jan,
It may be an “ambush“ but I don’t think that is what is intended to qualify as achieving the military objective in that particular scenario. If anything it’s entirely contrary to the mission aim since it is revealing the presence of your troops leaving them open to retribution for no permanent damage on the enemy. Unless you really can claim that it has allowed a second attack to physically damage the vehicle or men in it, I wouldn’t count it myself.

John