Sharp Practice events?

For gamers putting on TooFatLardies games at Shows and Conventions

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Tim Haslam

Sharp Practice events?

Post by Tim Haslam »

Are there any SP coming up in the next few months?
UK based please.
Thanks

Fred Worthingham

Re: Sharp Practice events?

Post by Fred Worthingham »

Hi Tim
Welcome to Sharp Practice.
There are going to be quite a few Lardy games including Sharp Practice at The Other Partizan in Newark this Sunday the 18th August. If you are able to get along it will be a great opportunity to give the games a go and meet up with a fantastic community of players. I did this last year as a relative newbie and have been hooked ever since.

Captain Reid

Post by Captain Reid »

I run some pure Sharp Practice events, generally French Indian War (1758-ish) or Peninsular War (1811-ish), mainly at Bristol Independent Gaming, but also elsewhere on occasion. These are usually weekends and increasingly based on 2 vs 2 games with around 16-30 players. 2 games each day, either scenario-based or, increasingly, a mini-campaign with the outcome of previous battles determining the setting for the next.

I advertise them on Facebook through the Sharp Practice Open Events Group. It's unfortunately proved too time consuming for me to gather people via different platforms (forums, email, yahoo groups, etc).

The next one is mid-October in Bristol and is French Indian War with some British places available if you're interested.
The climate crisis has already been solved. We already have all the facts and solutions. All we have to do is to wake up and change. - Greta Thunberg

The Saindoux Campaign, French & Indian War blog

Cerro Manteca, Peninsular War blog.

Tim Haslam

Post by Tim Haslam »

Thanks for the information guys.
Your events sound great fun.

I’m needing to plan a bit further ahead, maybe after Christmas into the new year.
Besides I’m still waiting to have my first game yet!
I’ve managed to buy a late French force to practice with.
I do have family in Bristol, in need of a visit!
I’m not on Facebook I’m afraid, which appears to be more and more of a problem for me.

So are 2 player V 2 player popular events?

Many thanks, Fred and Captain.
Keep me informed if convenient.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Hi Tim,
You should also keep an eye open for any Lardy Games Days advertised on here. These events organised by community members feature various games produced by TFL including Sharp Practice and Chain of Command. New players are always welcome to come along and try out rules.

I think the next one is near Harrogate in Setember. I don't recall seeing a complete list anywhere.

The 2v2 format works well for Club play as well as events.

John

Tim Haslam

Post by Tim Haslam »

Harrogate is quite close to me, I my be able to pop over to that.
Any more info?

Tim Haslam

Post by Tim Haslam »

BaronVonWreckedoften

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

It might be a bit too far if you're based in God's Own County, but "Come and have a go if you think you're Lard enough 2020" is being held on March 7th in the Southampton area. Only (yes I know!) 80 places, so you might need to be quick!!! Includes an AWI SP2 game that I have already signed up for....

https://www.facebook.com/events/2341524339264707/
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Tim Haslam wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:48 am
Is it this one?,
https://toofatlardies.co.uk/forum/viewt ... 15&t=10795
That's the one I was thinking of. I think the games may be full by now, but John Savage can confirm whether there's room for another little 'un to watch and learn. :)

If you're in that part of the world another to look out for next year is Wor Lard which is held in sunny Durham in April. It's always entertaining. And if you are prepared to travel you could consider my local event, Deep Fried Lard in Musselburgh in June.

John

Tim Haslam

Post by Tim Haslam »

Great, thanks.
I've put it too our group, as a couple of us are interested.
We may even run our own little event over in Stockport at element games.