Death in the Hürtgenwald!

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

john de terre neuve

Death in the Hürtgenwald!

Post by john de terre neuve » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:10 pm

I really had a terrific game of CoC yesterday playing a scenario from the Summer 2017 special. You can see a brief AR here, unfortunately I forgot to take photos near the end of the game. http://fuentesdeonoro.blogspot.com/2018 ... paign.html

Many thanks to Tom Ballou for putting on the game.

John

Tom Ballou

Re: Death in the Hürtgenwald!

Post by Tom Ballou » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:51 pm

John it was great playing with you! I’m going to post a photo of Lt. Vettel’s death run!
--Tom

Never drive a car when you're dead
--Tom Waits "Telephone Call From Istanbul"

Jfuller39

Post by Jfuller39 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:10 am

Hi John and Tom, great looking game. Thanks for posting about it. Quick question, are you playing in 15mm and is the table a 6x4? I’m considering getting into CoC and just trying to see how people play. Thanks!

john de terre neuve

Post by john de terre neuve » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:04 am

This game was 15mm on a 6x4' table. I play CoC with 3 other guys, myself and one other play in 20mm, Tom plays in 15 mm and the last guy plays in 28mm. All scales work on a 6x4'table. The true scale for the game is 15mm. I like 20mm as I can see the weapons and the vehicles are not massive.

John

Jfuller39

Post by Jfuller39 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:18 am

john de terre neuve wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:04 am
This game was 15mm on a 6x4' table. I play CoC with 3 other guys, myself and one other play in 20mm, Tom plays in 15 mm and the last guy plays in 28mm. All scales work on a 6x4'table. The true scale for the game is 15mm. I like 20mm as I can see the weapons and the vehicles are not massive.

John

Thank you for this. I think I’d like the infantry in 28mm but I own a bit of old 15mm stuff and could play with a bit of rebasing I suspect. I think 20mm would be perfect for me as well but since I own some already, I’ll likley start there. Thanks again!

Tom Ballou

Post by Tom Ballou » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:05 pm

Hi John, we screwed up! When you blasted Lt. Vettel with the Sherman, and got the kill. It was not automatic, I have to roll for leader hit, and the same case for your JL that got hit. Kills are not automatic for leaders.
--Tom

Never drive a car when you're dead
--Tom Waits "Telephone Call From Istanbul"

john de terre neuve

Post by john de terre neuve » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:59 pm

Yep....we did it wrong!

The whole process with hits on leaders is bizarre though, I believe the process is fine when they are with a squad, however I am not sure what the reasoning is when they are isolated. You end up being forced to take multiple morale checks while with a straight kill on a JL you have either have a drop of 1 or 2 on FM with an equal chance of one happening. You can even avoid this by playing a CoC dice.

The process as it is now is that you could take multiple FM check when a SL/JL is wounded and another when he is killed (either by a drop in CI to 0 or an outright kill).

John