Compromise basing for SP2 and General d'Armee

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Contrarius

Compromise basing for SP2 and General d'Armee

Post by Contrarius » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:36 am

I'm using my armies for both Sharp Practice and General d'Armee. I tend to put skirmishers on 1p sabot bases, and have noticed that 3-slot sabots work well for both systems (unlike the 6-slot sabots used in the Beasts of War vids, which are useless in GdA).

Still having problems deciding how to base my officers, musicians and standard bearers.

Senior officers are no problem as they sit on largish bases that are OK in both systems. Standard bearers can be based in pairs with a supporting sergeant or half-pike or musician (the second figure having no effect in SP2), so they *should* also be fine in both systems. Now, it's those pesky junior officers, NCOs and individual musicians that cause the problems. I'm using 60 x 20mm bases, with 4 infantry figures glued to each base – all 1/72 scale of course.

Wondering how other folk have got round this problem.

Archdukek

Re: Compromise basing for SP2 and General d'Armee

Post by Archdukek » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:32 am

Where I use the same figures for both my officers are usually based individually on a 20x20mm base and simply combined with others to create a 40x40mm "command stand". Usually a standard bearer paired with one other like you plus a singly based infantryman. I do have some where the officer is paired with a musician whom I just ignore if not relevant in SP. Works OK since I use movement trays.

The other option I considered was to magnetise the individual command stand figures so that they could be used individually or combined, but in the end I was too lazy and decided it wasn't needed.

John

Contrarius

Re: Compromise basing for SP2 and General d'Armee

Post by Contrarius » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:43 pm

Archdukek wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:32 am
The other option I considered was to magnetise the individual command stand figures ....

Yes, figured some sort of magnetization would be the best solution. And I guess GdA doesn't mind if you have 3 figures on a base made for 4. I could just about squeeze 3 men on 1p coins onto a 4 man (60mm base), but it does mean the magnetic sheet will be showing at the edges. Hrrumph... Also less good if I put those sergeants and ensigns on 2p coins, which will screw everything up.