Can isolated Leader move on an interruption?

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Tom Ballou

Can isolated Leader move on an interruption?

Post by Tom Ballou » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:27 pm

I was merrily shooting up John de terre neuve troops when he decided to run. A series of bad rolls stopped him from make the edge. My .08 Maxim chopped up the fleeing squad. There were three leaders with them but no hits on them.

The last man in the team went down and a leader was killed. The Germans had a double phase, knowing the next burst from.the Maxim was going to kill the FO and the SL John used his CoC die to interrupt the fire and move the leaders off table.

Is it legal to use an interupt to move leaders?
--Tom

Never drive a car when you're dead
--Tom Waits "Telephone Call From Istanbul"

Archdukek

Re: Can isolated Leader move on an interruption?

Post by Archdukek » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:19 pm

No, section 5.1.2 on page 22 says specifically that you can use 'Interrupt' to allow a "Section, Squad, Team or vehicle" which is deployed on the table to move or fire. An isolated Leader is none of those things.

John

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:34 am

I would respectfully disagree, I would count the FO and the attached SL as a team and allow them to use the interrupt
After all a scout team can use it and it is 1 or 2 men.
I would not allow the SL to be activated by the interrupt but move as part of the ad-hoc team made with the FO

JOHN BOND 001

Post by JOHN BOND 001 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:40 am

Check out this recent thread Tom Ballou
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=9141&p=57961&sid=6 ... 245#p57961

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:04 am

Ahh yes but this time the SL has a buddy
and if he is within 4" he is attached
Therefore they is a team 😁

Peter

Post by Peter » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:40 am

Ice allow a leader to move on an interrupt. Though I would treat running off the table as a rout.

Seret

Post by Seret » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:22 am

I think moving a unit off table to avoid it getting shot is a bit dubious. The table edge is an arbitrary line that doesn't exist in reality. Feels like a gamey move IMO.

Personally I'd allow a player to use an interrupt to move a leader. I think arguing about whether he's a "unit" or not is just semantics. He should be able to show equivalent initiative and survival instinct to one of his squaddies.

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:47 am

Yes running off the table should count as a lost unit.

john de terre neuve

Post by john de terre neuve » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:27 am

Maybe a bit of context might be helpful!

We were playing the Achtung mini campaign from the 2017 Summer Special. Essentially this is a Hurtgenwald Forest scenario where the Americans have to take out and occupy a German trench line fortified by 2 WWI bunkers.

The set up makes it extremely unlikely that the Americans can do this in one game, and they can withdraw from the table multiple times at the cost of a -1 adjustment to their Force Morale in each game.

In the first campaign turn I was able to weaken the German defences on their right flank and then planned to withdraw to re-muster my forces for a second attack (going into the next campaign turn). While getting ready for this a force in the centre was getting shot up pretty badly, this included a SL, FO, JL with the remnants of a infantry team. We agreed that they could withdraw to their table edge. During this withdrawal I lost the rest of the infantry squad and the JL. It was during this withdrawal that I played the INTERRUPT.

I am not really sure if this was dubious as we had agreed that this was legitimate in respect to the game we were playing before I started the withdrawal. I always think it best to focus on the question that was asked, which was posted online before we even played the 2nd campaign turn, rather than making a judgement about the gaminess of the actual move.

I am still not sure if using an INTERRUPT was correct or not but the unit being shot up certainly never started the withdrawal as a single leader.

Notwithstanding the above, Tom put on a terrific game with a great looking table. We played out the campaign to it's end. It took almost 6 hours with 2 turns being played in one session. It is the longest CoC game I have ever played by far and it was enormous fun. Hopefully I will get up a AR soon.

John

Seret

Post by Seret » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:46 am

I don't think you need to worry too much about whether what you're doing is "correct" John. You're dealing with edge cases that aren't covered specifically by the rules while also including some on-the-spot rule modifications by allowing a squad to withdraw independently of the platoon. Once your outside the normal rules like that then however you want to play it is fair game.

Personally though, I would agree that a unit withdrawn from the table in that way would mean a BTH role. In the case of your SL that's gonna hurt, but I suppose it's better than having him killed in a campaign.