CoC France 1940 Action at Stonne

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

MLB

CoC France 1940 Action at Stonne

Post by MLB » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:37 am

My regular opponent Dave has been busy putting together early war forces for France 1940 and this was our first time using them and playing anything from this early in the war. A very different feel from late war, not least because armour has a bit more freedom to roam without the constant threat of panzerfausts, PIATs or bazookas. Some interesting command challenges with the more cumbersome four squad platoons, particularly for the French but overall very enjoyable and we will certainly be playing more. A full AAR here https://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com ... tonne.html

The Tactical Painter
Painting little soldiers for tactical battles on the table top

oozeboss
Location: In the Shadow of the Temple of Mir-Anda, Sydney, Australia

Re: CoC France 1940 Action at Stonne

Post by oozeboss » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:32 am

Cracking good game, and an absolutely enthralling account. Thank you for taking the time and effort to both record and transcribe it.

As soon as your opponent started scoffing at the atg, I sensed that retribution care of the inevitable wrath of the dice gods' would be forthcoming. And as it transpired, that proved to be no mere "door knocker" - that was a 37mm titanium sheathed battering ram! :lol:
"We are all worms.
But I do believe that I am a glow-worm."

Winston Churchill

GunnarL

Post by GunnarL » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:55 am

I always enjoy your battle reports, and this one is no different. Good tactical analysis is married with enjoyable narration, which always makes a good read. I'm really looking forward to your future campaigns for either this or SP2 as well.

BaronVonWreckedoften

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:47 pm

An excellent write-up!

Can I ask (and please forgive me if this is answered on your website) - what size/scale of figures are you using for your 1940 set-up, and who makes them? (I'm guessing a lot of your "Martlet" stuff was AB, yes?) I am particularly interested in this period of the war and want to know what is available. My regular gaming partner knows the owner of Early War Miniatures very well and we are looking at 20mm for CoC, having rejected 15mm (not enough 1940 kit/figures available), but are also considering 28mm, in which we already have early war WaT (I have the Warlord Char B1 Bis peloton, and I'm looking at another of their "deals" - three R40s and two Somuas - to build a "promotional ladder" of French armour). Any help gratefully received.

MLB

Post by MLB » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:54 am

Thanks Brendan.

We play all our CoC games in 20mm, I think it’s a happy balance between 15mm and 28mm - the figures are large enough to see and distinguish and the battlefield doesn’t feel too crowded. In this case all the miniatures were from my opponent Dave’s collection, the paint still very fresh on them! I will see if I can get him to chime in here and let you know manufacturers. I think many figures come from Grubby and the vehicles from Milicast, but hopefully Dave can clarify.

Apart from the US airborne in two of my other AARs all remaining miniatures and vehicles are mine. I initially built my British, German and Russian units with the PSC hard plastic sets, but they never satisfied the miniatures painter in me and so I’m slowly weeding them out to be replaced with AB where possible. They really are lovely figures and cover US, British and German very well, while their Russian range continues to grow. However my Volkssturm are from Wartime and my resistance/partisan (who also fill the ranks of my Volkssturm when required) are from Wargames Foundry.

The PSC range are perfectly serviceable (except their Americans, which are awful), you get over 50 miniatures in a box and they are made of a tough, game-friendly plastic (think Perry or Gripping Beast). Very little assembly required compared to 28mm plastic, in most cases none required at all.

My Japanese are from Eureka, as are my Aussies. I’ve added some missing weapons and crews from another range, whose name escapes me.

As for guns and armour you have almost unlimited options given 1/72 is such a popular scale in plastic kits, once you throw in metal and resin I suspect there is nothing you can’t find. Did I mention how much cheaper they are too? The PSC sets normally include three vehicles, or three guns plus their crews. They often include a range of options so you can build different variants, so you don’t have to have three the same.

Of course, What a Tanker works very well in this scale too.
The Tactical Painter
Painting little soldiers for tactical battles on the table top

BaronVonWreckedoften

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:27 am

Thanks - I'd be particularly interested in knowing where he got his 1940 British, although EWM is looking good.

captain_nutrageous

Post by captain_nutrageous » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:12 am

Hello Brendan. To add to what Mark said: for the French, the infantry are all Early War Miniatures. The Char B is also EWM, while the R40 is from Milicast. My French vehicles are a mix of EWM, Milicast, and a set of 3 FT17 from Minairons - nice little kits but a tad overscale. The EWM infantry are a mixed bag - the remastered infantry are very good, but a few of the older masters are not quite as crisp. Decals are from Aleran and Black Lion (I use a mix).

For the Germans, the infantry are primarily Kelly's heroes range from Grubby Tanks. The Panzer III (along with most of the AFVs) are from Milicast, except for a couple of armoured cars (Sd Kfz 221 and 222) that I sourced from SHQ. The gun and crew are from SHQ.

The other maker worth considering is Battlefield Blitz - I got most of my BEF figures from them (currently a WIP). They do a nice range of French and Germans too, but their range really only covers basic infantry, so you will need to look further afield for supports. Their figures are very crisp and detailed, very nice little guys.

Feel free to ask any more questions. I will try and post some more pics if you like.

BaronVonWreckedoften

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:30 pm

Thanks, Dave - very useful. Didn't recognise the EWM figures (naughty me!), but the fact that they are re-mastering is interesting. I'm looking primarily at BEF and Wehrmacht for 1940, but have been considering 28mm, where there are some nice(ish) French ranges and plenty of Germans, but the vast majority of British ranges are late war. Anyway, thanks for those leads.

sjwalker51

Post by sjwalker51 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:01 pm

Another recommendation for Blitz if you’re looking for 20mm 1940 BEF: lovely little figures that paint up very easily. Their Early War Germans are equally good. Also worth considering Lancer Miniatures: slightly chunkier but compatible.

Oh, and the Wartime Volksturm are also very nice!