Uncontrolled firing

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Gunner

Uncontrolled firing

Post by Gunner » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:39 pm

If a formation fires uncontrolled Volley after moving with one action, the next time the card or chip is pulled out, do you have to roll first to see if they obey the command? Or can you just fire without rolling.

Munin

Re: Uncontrolled firing

Post by Munin » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:37 pm

Once you engage in uncontrolled firing, you can continue to fire on any future activation without making a test. It's only when you want to do something else that you have to make a test.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:06 pm

As Munin says they can just keep firing. However, you might still want to test if you want to add the activating Leader's Status Level in dice to your firing roll. You can only do that if he is controlling the unit.

John

FrenchricusRex

Post by FrenchricusRex » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:56 pm

Yes to the above, with this addition from the FAQ (Pages 11-12):

Q: On page 22, under ‘Unit Activations’, it says that a Leader may use one activation to ‘Direct the fire
of a Formation or Group he is attached to, adding 1D6 of fire for each level of his Status’. On page 45,
under Firing Procedure, in the table ‘Firing Dice Variables’, it says ‘Each Status Level of Leader controlling
fire : +1D6’. Does that mean that the unit only gets the extra D6s for Leader status if the unit was using
controlled fire?

A: If a Leader is with a Unit and telling it to fire, that unit gets to add his dice (i.e. 1D6 for each level of
Status he has) to the firing. This occurs in ANY situation, whether it's a Formation firing a controlled
volley, an uncontrolled volley or just a Group firing.

Also on Page 12:

Q: If a unit is firing in an uncontrolled manner, and their Leader wants them to stop and do something
else (eg: move), he rolls on the table on p49. If he fails, they continue firing and I assume that the
Command Initiative used to order them to move is lost?

A: It is indeed, and he can’t use another Command Initiative to try again until the next Turn. He also
doesn’t add his Leader dice to firing as he is clearly NOT controlling their fire.

This is a very subtle and tricky point, that took me some time to wrap my head around. It seems that the unit only looses the Leader's extra firing dice if they are ordered to do something else, and then fail their test. Otherwise, they get the Leader's dice, even if firing uncontrolled.

That being said, it makes more sense to me to play it the way Archdukek suggested. To each their own.

john de terre neuve

Post by john de terre neuve » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:45 am

nicely discussed, i now finally understand uncontrolled fire!

Travh20

Post by Travh20 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:54 am

john de terre neuve wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:45 am
nicely discussed, i now finally understand uncontrolled fire!
If you get the drummer you add +1 to the roll to get the troops under control.
Chain of Command video battle reports and more at https://www.youtube.com/user/travh20

BaronVonWreckedoften

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:34 am

Travh20 wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:54 am
Worth knowing, thanks for posting that.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:18 am

BaronVonWreckedoften wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:34 am
Travh20 wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:54 am
Worth knowing, thanks for posting that.
Yes for Regulars adding in a drummer means you are into "Anything but a '1' territory" to regain control and we all know what that does to the laws of probability. :roll: ;)

John