Enfilade 2018 AAR Race for the Bridge

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

bandrsntch

Enfilade 2018 AAR Race for the Bridge

Post by bandrsntch » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:24 am

From the NHMGS 2018 Enfilade convention held in Olympia, WA. I put on two Sharp Practice games. AAR is here: http://westsoundwarriors.blogspot.com/2 ... -2018.html

Captain Reid

Re: Enfilade 2018 AAR Race for the Bridge

Post by Captain Reid » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:11 am

4 players a side must be hard work indeed for the umpire! Running two 2 vs 2 games side by side is reasonably practical (I've done it so it must be pretty straightforward . . .) though it does help if at leas one player on each table has at least a basic grasp of the rules.

I actually stole this scenario for an event I ran earlier this year and it proved popular. It's a nicely different slant to the rulebook ones. Thanks for putting it up online earlier, and for posting this report
Faith! If they tried to outrun a Hielandmon, they stood but a bad chance, for Whash! went the broadsword.
- James Thompson, 78th Foot.

The Saindoux Campaign, 1757, my French and Indian War blog

Cerro Manteca, 1811, my Peninsular War blog.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:43 pm

Interesting AAR and nice table. 4 players a side is seriously challenging to run. Like David I stick to 2v2 these days.

Also when using larger than normal forces I often give both sides a secondary deployment point for free, sometimes more than 12" away, to help reduce over crowding and spread out the forces more. Using a Moveable Deployment Point is characterful but unreliable as you discovered in your first game.

John

bandrsntch

Post by bandrsntch » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:05 pm

Yes four players per side is uncomfortable, but its a convention and guys want to play. I'm going to try to come up with a scenario that is two, two players per side games going on at the same time side by side with the outcome of one affecting the other at the far end of the table. Maybe a river running straight down the middle of the table with heavy woods along the rive sides effectively preventing fire from one side of the table to the other. A bridge placed way down at the end of the table connecting the two sides. If one side makes it all the way down it can cross over to help the other side. Each table would have their own activation deck or tokens, so effectively two games going on at the same time. I'm thinking one Force is trying to get back to base with important intelligence and the only way to do so is to cross the bridge. A support force has been sent to hold the bridge to allow them to cross. The opposite side has forces on each side of the table to prevent their opponents from reaching safety.
Any ideas to help are welcome.

Munin

Post by Munin » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:48 pm

I stand by my earlier suggestion of simply having each player have the same number of leaders, then when "Red Leader #3" is drawn, all players on the Red side activate their #3 leader. When a Blue Flag is drawn, each player on the Blue side gets a chit that they can use as they wish (some will save them hedging against the Tiffin, some will choose to spend them right away). That way you never have that poor guy waiting for two hours and never having his particular leader come up.

siggian

Post by siggian » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:04 pm

I would put something like a forest down the centre of the table. The forest is impassible except via road and there are two roads through it near each base line. (I suggest forest because it both limits movement and blocks line of sight so that there isn't too much interaction between the battles).

If a side wants to send a unit to the other battle, they move to the road entrance. Once they are in column, on their next activation, they move along the road. On their next activation, they arrive at the other battle and are placed in the road exit (no moving or firing).

Let both battles run at their own pace.

Capt Fortier

Post by Capt Fortier » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:12 am

Excellent report and photos. How did your players find it? Also, how do you draw your table maps/diagrams - they are superb!

Another option for 2x2 players could be to have one side holding and defending the centre with the other side attacking from the two opposite points (A1<=>D1:D2<=>A2). The defenders could be weaker but are able to cooperate from the start; whereas the attackers can only cooperate once they get close enough.
Capt Fortier

“Un optimiste, c'est un homme qui plante deux glands et qui s'achète un hamac.” - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

bandrsntch

Post by bandrsntch » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:58 am

Some players just wanted to see how the rules worked. Some had the rules but hadn't played them yet so they enjoyed seeing how they work. Others just like to push troops around. Most of them appreciated getting to see how the game played. One thing I forgot to do in the Friday game was go with a Rule Mod that says the first movement die is always a "6". I did that in the second game and it speeded things up considerably

Maps are done using Microsoft Paint in bitmap(.bmp) format and converted to .gif for posting on the blog. It's a time consuming process which is why it took so long to get the AAR done after the game in May. I also use paint.net for some things such as rotating objects and drawing transparent arrows. I have used Battle Chronicler before, but its clunky to use and I like the way my maps look better.

I think the maps help readers understand the flow of the game a little better and I actually like doing them. They are also a big help insetting up convention games as I've got all my roads, rivers and hills scaled for the maps and can layout the scenario terrain on my PC rather than having to do it for real. I think SP works best with no more than two players per side and that's what I will stick to in the future for convention games unless someone comes up with a way to play "Big SP" as they have for "Big COC".

Jfuller39

Post by Jfuller39 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:40 pm

I think one interesting way to put Capt. Fortier’s suggestion into play would be attacks on a fortresses or fortified town (think Spanish border 1811/1812 for Peninusla War or Yorktown, Richmond, Petersburg, Vicksburg, Fort William Henry in FIW). You could have the feint attack and primary attack. I’m sure you could use the random events tables to affect outcomes on each board without having to have the players over lap if it was too difficult (ammo runs low as the runners resupply the wrong wall section).

Anyway just some thoughts. Loved the reports and the maps were super helpful. Thank you (and anyone else putting on games) for bringing this to a wider audience.