Teddy Fur

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Timmo

Re: Teddy Fur

Post by Timmo » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:54 pm

EC,

There are two types of fur that gamers lump together and call Teddy Bear fur. One is cheap and sold described as fur fabric, the other is three or four times as expensive and retails as faux fur. You want the more expensive version. The cheap stuff will always look like painted acrylic fur rather than small scale grass.

The most popular type of faux fur for modelling is called 'Wolf' however, I found a type called Pampas (for obvious reasons) it's a softer finer fur and a bleached straw colour. The best way to cut it is using a cheap pair of hairdressers' style long bladed scissors not clippers, which clog. You need to keep turning it as you cut. I let mine drop over a desk as this exposes an edge to cut. Work from reference images and vary the length. I modelled mine on a late summer look but I had been studying the grass meadows around the village where I live for over a year to see how they changed with the seasons. The best way to colour the cut fur is to get a couple of Dulux match pots and mix up a thin watery grass colour. I bought a dull yellow to mix with a green as I couldn't get a subdued enough green. Rub the paint into just the tips of the fur using your fingers. Don't get the fur wet, it'll ruin the effect.

I base all my figures on steel and this added weight combined with the soft fur is enough to ensure the figures always press it down.

GunnarL

Post by GunnarL » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:24 pm

Eclaireur wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:09 pm
Yep - good tips ref weight of figures. Gunnar, going to Rich's point, do you know what the depth of pile is on that fur? And did you dye the green one or buy it that colour (it's pretty good!)
EC
This is a Killing Fields mat. This is their older version, which is .2" length and is pre-dyed that green color. They're coming out with the new mat soon and it is .1" length, I believe.

Eclaireur

Post by Eclaireur » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:09 pm

Thanks guys - I like your fur massage pro-tip Timmo though if the family catch me doing that, I'll be off to the funny farm!
EC