Query regarding timing of contacted skirmisher removal

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Markconz

Query regarding timing of contacted skirmisher removal

Post by Markconz » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:51 am

Query from last game. In pic linked below Cuirassiers have just charged and contacted some skirmishers (who we instantly removed), but when does this removal occur? If at end of charge/move phase, then the cannon now get to blast the Cuirassiers (which is how we played it), and it was pretty rough for the cuirassiers. But if removal is at end of melee phase, then the cannons couldn't fire during this same turn, which would make some sense as presumably the cannons wouldn't want to gun down their own fleeing skirmishers even if they were being run down by Cuirassiers.

Alternatively, having hit and run down the skirmishers (point 5 page 50) do the Cuirassiers now overrun?

Thanks for any help with this.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-SNjRX8GoDE0/ ... e%2529.jpg

Archdukek

Re: Query regarding timing of contacted skirmisher removal

Post by Archdukek » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:38 pm

I'm not sure of the correct answer but I'd be inclined to remove the Skirmishers immediately they are contacted and allow the Cuirassiers to Charge On and resolve any subsequent charge using the usual charge procedure including defensive fire from the battery.

John

Contrarius

Post by Contrarius » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:13 pm

I thought skirmishers were trained to form Klumpen which acted as mini-squares. Surely these would provide some cover, or at least delay the cuirassiers for a short while?

Dorsenne

Post by Dorsenne » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:30 pm

Hi Markonz,
You did right. Skirmishers charged by cavalry (and formed infantry) must evade immediately. They must make a Discipline test, if pass they evade up to the full evade move, either to behind friendly close order unit. If the skirmish unit fail, they must immediately withdraw to either behind its own brigade or into cover, whichever is nearest (pag.66).
In the fire phase artillery can fire normally to the Curassiers if they are the nearest unit. :o
I think is never a good idea to use a reserve heavy cavalry unit to charge skirmish units.

Cheers
P.

DCRBrown

Post by DCRBrown » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:46 am

M,

That's correct - Skirmishers cannot stand against an infantry or cavalry charge and must evade, (p50 & 66); excellently described by Dorsenne above!

The cavalry then have the options to either, Take the Ground, contact the evading unit if it can be caught or most likely in your situation, continue the charge against another target within reach and repeat the charge procedure.

DB

Markconz

Post by Markconz » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:35 pm

Ok thanks, so just checking, this is the intended rules(?):

1. The skirmishers evade.
2. The Cavalry charge distance is enough to contact them at the point they have evaded to.
3. The Cavalry charge to that point and the skimirshers are instantly removed.
4. The Cavalry now get to charge on 5D6" (point c, page 48).

We did steps 1-3 in the game, but not step 4. Step 4 would seem to make some sense though as that's what happens when you rout any other unit - so not sure why it wouldn't happen if you run down skirmishers?

DCRBrown

Post by DCRBrown » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:35 am

M,

I see where you're coming from, but I'm going down the line that in these relatively rare situations skirmishers just melt away/disperse as a unit rather than are physically ridden down as per a standard charge situation. If your glorious cuirassiers ride down a square or line that's a significant victory, but simply continuing an advance against an already retiring/evading skirmish unit that continues to evade and break up doesn't quite have the same impact?

Hope that makes sense.

DB
Last edited by DCRBrown on Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Markconz

Post by Markconz » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:26 am

Ok thanks for clarification.