Query regarding timing of contacted skirmisher removal

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Markconz

Query regarding timing of contacted skirmisher removal

Post by Markconz » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:51 am

Query from last game. In pic linked below Cuirassiers have just charged and contacted some skirmishers (who we instantly removed), but when does this removal occur? If at end of charge/move phase, then the cannon now get to blast the Cuirassiers (which is how we played it), and it was pretty rough for the cuirassiers. But if removal is at end of melee phase, then the cannons couldn't fire during this same turn, which would make some sense as presumably the cannons wouldn't want to gun down their own fleeing skirmishers even if they were being run down by Cuirassiers.

Alternatively, having hit and run down the skirmishers (point 5 page 50) do the Cuirassiers now overrun?

Thanks for any help with this.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-SNjRX8GoDE0/ ... e%2529.jpg

Archdukek

Re: Query regarding timing of contacted skirmisher removal

Post by Archdukek » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:38 pm

I'm not sure of the correct answer but I'd be inclined to remove the Skirmishers immediately they are contacted and allow the Cuirassiers to Charge On and resolve any subsequent charge using the usual charge procedure including defensive fire from the battery.

John

Contrarius

Re: Query regarding timing of contacted skirmisher removal

Post by Contrarius » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:13 pm

I thought skirmishers were trained to form Klumpen which acted as mini-squares. Surely these would provide some cover, or at least delay the cuirassiers for a short while?