Petrol bombs and molotov cocktails

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

jaakvik

Petrol bombs and molotov cocktails

Post by jaakvik » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:23 pm

Hi

I have a question regarding petrol bombs, satchels etc. On the table in the ruleset (table 7, p42) there are listed several types of bombs. For instance, for the Soviets there is the petrol bomb (molotov cocktail), the satchel and the AT grenade. I understand how the satchel works (you place it on the tank). But what about the grenade, not to mention the petrol bomb. Can these be thrown? In that case, how does one solve this? Like regular grenades? Whit the same range (2D6)?

Comparing the molotov vs the satchel, the latter has double the AP value (3 vs 6). If the molotov has to be placed physically to the AFV, then why should one choose this over the satchel? How do you guys practice this?

Best regards
Joey

Bombardier

Re: Petrol bombs and molotov cocktails

Post by Bombardier » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:12 am

Hi Joey
I had the same questions which I put in a recent post, I received two replies which seem to suggest that charges and mines etc are placed whereas grenades petrol bombs etc are thrown. As to how the thrown weapons are resolved hasn't been clarified however in my mind I will be using the normal grenade rules.

Ron

7dot62mm

Post by 7dot62mm » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:11 pm

When I umpired our Kursk the Citadel 1.1 PSC play I houseruled the various Soviet and German anti-tank equipment as follows:

SOVIET LIST ONE:

Satchel charge.
Two-kilo charge with hooks to grasp onto target, AP 6, HE 4. The charge may be used once by any Squad or Team on the table when commanded by a Leader. Can be thrown 2d6-5 inches. Distribution must be declared before game.

Anti-Tank hand grenades
Either six RPG-40 (AP 2, HE 3) satchel charges or two RPG-43 (AP 4, HE 3) HEAT hand grenades. Each may be used once by any Squad or Team on the table when commanded by a Leader. Can be thrown 2d6-3 inches. Distribution must be declared before game.

Two Molotov Cocktails
AP 3 HE 1, doubles Shock. The charge may be used once by any Squad or Team on the table when commanded by a Leader. Can be thrown 2d6-3 inches. Distribution must be declared before game.

Three Smoke Grenades
Creates a 3” cloud of smoke. The grenade may be used once by any Squad or Team when commanded to do so by a Leader. Any Engineer Team may also use a smoke grenade and does not require to be commanded by a Leader in order to do so. Can be thrown 2d6 inches. Distribution must be declared before game.

GERMAN LIST ONE:

Compound Charge
Geballte Ladung ("bundled charge"). A stick hand grenade with additional six hand grenade warheads attached. AP 5, HE 4. The charge may be used once by any Squad or Team when commanded by a Leader. Can be thrown 2d6-5 inches. Distribution must be declared before game.

Tellermine
An anti-tank mine which could be used as an improvised satchel charge by flinging it onto or under a tank. The charge may be used once by any Squad or Team when commanded by a Leader. Cannot be thrown. Distribution must be declared before game.
Roll D6. 1‐2, No effect, 3‐5, vehicle immobilized and 2 Shock. 6, vehicle immobilized, crew bail out [9.3.4].

Hafthohlladung
Magnetic HEAT charge which is attached to enemy tank and then blown up. AP 7, HE 3. The charge may be used once by any Squad or Team when commanded by a Leader. Cannot be thrown. Distribution must be declared before game.

Three Smoke Grenades
Creates a 3” cloud of smoke. The grenade may be used once by any Squad or Team when commanded to do so by a Leader. Any Pioneer Team may also use a smoke grenade and does not require to be commanded by a Leader in order to do so. Can be thrown 2d6 inches. Distribution must be declared before game.

Bombardier

Post by Bombardier » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:26 am

Thanks for the idea we are playing that campaign at the moment so I will run it past the others and we may adopt them

Cheers

Ron