Newbie Query - Force selection

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Archdukek

Re: Newbie Query - Force selection

Post by Archdukek » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:01 pm

The number and level of Leaders is only limited by the points you are willing to spend on them or have agreed with your opponent. However, as Simon says getting the right balance between Leaders and Groups is important and does effect how the game plays. Hence my recommendation of limiting Leaders to 1 Status Level to 6 points of troops.

If you look at the example forces you will find a ratio of 1 Status Level per Group to be fairly common. I usually recommend starting with one of the core forces and building upon it but you don't have to.

Being mounted increases your Leader's mobility but that's all. In practice his mobility will largely be determined by the formation he is attached to or is controlling. Like Simon I tend to have my senior Force Commander mounted, plus any cavalry leaders obviously, but most are on foot.

John

Captain Reid

Re: Newbie Query - Force selection

Post by Captain Reid » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:30 am

It's probably also worth bearing in mind that in many ways having (say) two Status III leaders and a Status II leader is more useful than a Status III, a Status II and three Status I, even though they would cost the same. It slightly depends on how heterogeneous your force is - but there are also advantages to that. This is largely because of how the activation mechanic works but also has to do with the likelihood of a casualty being replaced (which is a rule I choose to ignore but does make higher Status leaders even better value).

I tend to like having at least one Status I leader for every II or III leader present, although I'm happy to fudge that a bit to reflect well led or poorly led forces.

I do think though that most of the quirks of the system become fairly obvious after a few games and it becomes straightforward to devise your own systems to mitigate any unwanted quirks.In fairness, a lot of quirks are, I suspect, down to how groups of players perceive the mechanics to favour certain aspects of the game (an unrelated classic is the perception that Sharp Practice is always the best option if available - actually if you have Crashing Volley - 2, it is very often a better bet, or that sheer volume of muskets - Militia - will almost always beat better troops).

I like one Status level of Leader for roughly every six points of men, with a range of about 1:5 for well led to 1:7 for more poorly led.
Also I like to have at least n-1 Leaders of Status I where n = half the total number of leaders present on a side.
I never use Status IV leaders because I think they're too useful and I'm generally reluctant to have more than two Status III leaders on a side (unless the game is especially big and/or or one force is very elite).
Faith! If they tried to outrun a Hielandmon, they stood but a bad chance, for Whash! went the broadsword.
- James Thompson, 78th Foot.

The Saindoux Campaign, 1757, my French and Indian War blog

Cerro Manteca, 1811, my Peninsular War blog.