Large Regiment Fire Modifiers Question

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

john de terre neuve

Large Regiment Fire Modifiers Question

Post by john de terre neuve » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:16 pm

Another great game of Pickett's Charge last night again playing the scenario in the book. This time the Confederates had a convincing victory. We played to conclusion in 3 hours.

Two factors that made a difference from our last game were that we allowed Confederate Artillery to treat the troops in the sunken road as being at a lower elevation for overhead fire. I am not sure if this is correct?

The 2nd, what we missed in the last game was giving all troops in the sunken road the +1CD modifier. As most regiments in the Confederate OB at at been reordered into large regiments each time they fired they were getting +3CD hitting 50% of the time. This was pretty devastating but my question has to do with long range fire. Do the CD still hit on 4,5,6's at long range as they do at effective range?

Thanks,

John

DCRBrown

Re: Large Regiment Fire Modifiers Question

Post by DCRBrown » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:04 am

J,

we allowed Confederate Artillery to treat the troops in the sunken road as being at a lower elevation for overhead fire. I am not sure if this is correct?

Only if the Confederate artillery is placed on the rise to the rear LH table edge. Otherwise treat as at the same level as the sunken road.

As most regiments in the Confederate OB at been reordered into large regiments each time they fired they were getting +3CD hitting 50% of the time. This was pretty devastating but my question has to do with long range fire. Do the CD still hit on 4,5,6's at long range as they do at effective range?

I was initially a bit confused by this but now get it! :oops: a) All the troop sizes in the scenario stand as stated and they cannot be altered, otherwise it unbalances the scenario. b) You make a good point about combining two small regts to create one large regt, this does seem to create too many benefits, esp. when firing. Thus I'll suggest that when you form a provisional regiment it moves up from small to standard, regardless of the actual number of bases.

DB

john de terre neuve

Re: Large Regiment Fire Modifiers Question

Post by john de terre neuve » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:55 pm

Thanks David, I do not think the Union could have ever won the way we played it.

John