Green and Elite Force Command Dice?

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Rich H

Re: Green and Elite Force Command Dice?

Post by Rich H » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:01 am

Elite vs green would keep the finns alive longer certainly.

Seret

Post by Seret » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:29 am

john de terre neuve wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:39 am
Elite and Green with 5CD each but adjusting the supports by 2 to the benefit of the Finns
Since you'd be adjusting both sides (+1 command dice one side, -1 the other) you'd be shifting the balance by four points, surely? Instead of the platoons being rated +5 and -4 (9pt bonus for the Finns) you'd be doing +3 and -2 (5pts extra for the Finns).

Munin

Post by Munin » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:27 pm

Elite by itself is a huge bonus. Your troops are MUCH harder to hit and the +2 to the FM roll means you're usually starting off well above your opponent. I don't think you'll need to adjust the Support Points at all.

john de terre neuve

Post by john de terre neuve » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:47 pm

Since you'd be adjusting both sides (+1 command dice one side, -1 the other) you'd be shifting the balance by four points, surely? Instead of the platoons being rated +5 and -4 (9pt bonus for the Finns) you'd be doing +3 and -2 (5pts extra for the Finns).
Thanks, it is amazing how challenged I am with simple arithmetic.
Elite by itself is a huge bonus. Your troops are MUCH harder to hit and the +2 to the FM roll means you're usually starting off well above your opponent. I don't think you'll need to adjust the Support Points at all.
It is a big advantage, you are hitting only on 6 with effective fire. If the defending unit has set up Covering Fire with a -1 to hit then you can not hit!

Lots to think about.

John

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:05 pm

Not any more have a read of the latest FAQ 😁

john de terre neuve

Post by john de terre neuve » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:36 am

Thanks TT, I missed that, and is as follows.
9.1 Infantry Fire Against Elite Troops
Section 9.1 and Table Five in particular shows that it is harder to hit Elite troops when fired upon. In some situations, especially when the firer is himself under covering fire, this makes hitting Elite troops impossible. At the time of writing the rules, this was my intent, but, on reflection, I feel that Elite troops are overly powerful.
As a solution, count a 6 as a hit but then roll again for each hit needing 4, 5 or 6 for it to actually be a hit. On a second roll of 1 to 3 you ignore the hit.

Contrarius

Post by Contrarius » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:00 pm

Sorry to change the topic slightly. Was toying with the idea of raising a Waffen-SS platoon for Poland in 1939, when these units were far from elite, and indeed are rated in the lists as green. They count as "diehards", so don't accumulate shock. Now the recommendation is that they still use five dice. So, how do you work out points for such troops?

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:36 pm

Have you downloaded the Germany 1939 Army List from the Lard Island Blog?
That gives an SS platoon a -1 Force Rating including them being Green and Diehards with 5 Command Dice compared to +1 for Regular Heer.

John

Contrarius

Post by Contrarius » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:44 pm

Archdukek wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:36 pm
Have you downloaded the Germany 1939 Army List from the Lard Island Blog?
That gives an SS platoon a -1 Force Rating including them being Green and Diehards with 5 Command Dice compared to +1 for Regular Heer.
Yes, downloaded that ages ago but somehow missed the bit about the reduced force rating. A reduction of two points isn't that bad at all. Having Green troops though is a real downer. At least they keep 5 command dice.

As an aside, I was wondering if anyone one knew the extent to which these early SS units had MG34s? I got the impression the SS didn't have access to the Heer supply chain and were forced to resort to obsolete and foreign-made weapons, certainly there are photos of the LAH and SS-Deutschland in Poland with the obsolescent MP28 submachine gun.