Comparison of Picket's Charge and GdA

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

john de terre neuve

Comparison of Picket's Charge and GdA

Post by john de terre neuve » Tue May 29, 2018 3:29 pm

Hi,

Finally getting to play PC, so have been reading through the rulebook. I have played several games of GdA so most of the mechanisms are quite familiar.

What struck me, is that PC is much more streamlined than GdA.

I was curious what players, who have played both rulesets, think about this. Is all the Napoleonic chrome that has been added to GdA necessary? I especially note the lack of melee mechanism in PC.

I can already hear the cries of dismay and I realise Napoleonic warfare is quite different than the ACW.

I was just curious!

John

DCRBrown

Re: Comparison of Picket's Charge and GdA

Post by DCRBrown » Thu May 31, 2018 10:13 am

J,

Yep, PC is more streamlined - due to, as you've noted, the general lack of melee. The melee mechanism is PC is short and sweet and rare.

Unfortunately in Napoleonic's melee may have been short and sweet but it was far from rare.

Cavalry add that extra dimension, requiring considerably more work, mechanisms and rules to "get right".

Also add in infantry defending villages and strongpoint's, and you have yet more rules and another mechanism. An initial draft of the rules had no infantry melee at all, (similar to PC), but that made it feel a little less Napoleonic, feedback from play testers was along the line of "what nothing for a column charge?" :? ) Therefore, by including just one possible result of melee, this created a reason for and created a particularly distinctive Napoleonic aspect to infantry charges. (Though, of course, this required more rules! ;) )

IMHO, all the above are necessary to create that period "feel"; to make the rule set Napoleonic, as opposed to simply generic.

DB

john de terre neuve

Re: Comparison of Picket's Charge and GdA

Post by john de terre neuve » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:03 pm

Thanks David, it was not a criticism just an observation. Napoleonic players are a factor onto themselves.

John