Hell Driving!

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Amaz_Ed

Hell Driving!

Post by Amaz_Ed » Fri May 18, 2018 1:36 pm

Russian tank aims and adds two more aim dice as a bonus. German commander plays Hell Driving card and moves. Tank does not move out of sight, but any movement causes aim to be lost. Should the bonus aim dice be lost too or could the Russian use them to re-aim at the German tank

Greg Bradfield

Re: Hell Driving!

Post by Greg Bradfield » Fri May 18, 2018 2:12 pm

I would allow him to use them to re-aim as he had not rolled to fire yet using them to his benefit. He may have declared his intentions but did not get to use them yet as you moved before he got to calculate to hit.

Others might see it differently lets see what are their views.

SteveBurt

Post by SteveBurt » Fri May 18, 2018 3:04 pm

I'd say all aim dice are lost

Seret

Post by Seret » Fri May 18, 2018 4:57 pm

I'd allow them to re-aim using any aim dice they've got.

Morgan

Post by Morgan » Mon May 21, 2018 8:17 am

Strictly speaking (as I read it), the sequence would be this:

- Russian tank aims (using one AIM dice to slide the token on the dashboard to show that the gun is aimed).
- The other two AIM dice are not yet used at this time ...
- German tank moves via Hell Driving so the aim status is lost
- Russian tank can then use another AIM dice to, again, slide the token back to "aimed status".
- Russian tank then, presumably, uses a SHOOT! dice to fire on the German tank
- It is at this point that extra AIM dice can be used to modify the chance to hit.

That's how I'd play it anyway.
Use the Consolidated Arsenal! It's here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... E/htmlview

Greg Bradfield

Post by Greg Bradfield » Mon May 21, 2018 9:34 am

100% correct in my book Morgan. We play it like that too.

Amaz_Ed

Post by Amaz_Ed » Mon May 21, 2018 10:09 am

So if the Russian tanker states that he will aim with all three aim dice and then the German tanker plays Hell Driving the Russian gets to 're-use' the dice that he has already played? It clearly states on the card that it may be played at ANY time, but the general consensus here seems to suggest that it can't.

Greg Bradfield

Post by Greg Bradfield » Mon May 21, 2018 10:18 am

Amaz_Ed

The Russian player has not played all three aims yet (he has stated how he wishes to use them but has not used them yet) as the first is to aim (Played)and the second and third will be used to reduce the to hit value. But before he gets to fire and use the other 2 aims the German plays Hell Driving. The Russian player still has those 2 additional aims in the bank as he has not fired, so he can now re-aim with one and use the remaining aim to reduce the to hit value.

Morgan

Post by Morgan » Mon May 21, 2018 10:59 am

I agree entirely with Greg. For me (having only played a couple of games), it helps to break it down into small steps:

"I am using this AIM dice to put the 'Aimed' token on the dashboard. <Pause to allow opponent to play card> Right, I'm now going to fire with this SHOOT dice and I'll use these other two AIM dice to adjust the chance to hit."

Beyond that, some might argue that "at ANY time" also means "after you use your SHOOT dice (plus the extra AIM dice to adjust the total) but before you actually roll to hit." That, I would suggest, is outside the spirit of the rules. It's the equivalent of dodging a shell mid-flight :)
Use the Consolidated Arsenal! It's here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... E/htmlview

Greg Bradfield

Post by Greg Bradfield » Mon May 21, 2018 11:20 am

I agree Morgan it is a bit gamey. I mean if the shot goes bang your driver will not be able to move out of the way before the shell hits. No one reacts that fast and even manages to get a tank out of the line of the incoming shell. So I will say the card needs to be played before the to hit is calculated. Maybe Nick or Rich can help!