M3 Lee and M3 Grant are reversed.

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Another_Gamer

M3 Lee and M3 Grant are reversed.

Post by Another_Gamer » Thu May 17, 2018 7:56 pm

In WAT!, they got the M3 Lee and M3 Grant reversed. I'm surprised this mistake got passed the proof readers much less the Lardies.

The M3 "Lee" is American and the M3 "Grant" is British.

Same tank really, except for the differences in the 37mm gun turret.

Speaking of this, I see no special rules for the M3 Lee/Grant, or even the Char B1. Did I miss something?

Also, what about special rules for one/two manned turrets? I'm always reading about how three-man turrets are better than one-man or two-man turrets.

Truscott Trotter

Re: M3 Lee and M3 Grant are reversed.

Post by Truscott Trotter » Thu May 17, 2018 8:10 pm

Nope you didnt miss anything, no rules for 1 man turrets let alone 2 man. ;)

Time for a houserule if you can think one up that does not cripple the tanks l so much that no one wants to use them?

Peter

Post by Peter » Thu May 17, 2018 8:48 pm

For one man turrets, I went with - can't aim fire or reload if unbuttoned. Simple, and restricts combat awareness.

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Thu May 17, 2018 10:52 pm

Whilst I see and understand your logic Peter I do not think that rule restricts the 1 man turret much in practice

From my limited playing experience most players stay unbuttoned until they acquire a target then they button up at the end of that turn.
nest turn they aim and fire.

I do not see how your rule changes this.

You could make it that the TC can only do two different things in a turn apart from drive
So he could aim and fire but not reload , or he could acquire and aim but not fire etc etc.
You would have to reduce the tanks points a fair bit to compensate?

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Fri May 18, 2018 7:33 am

Rich has previously said that we can expect to see suggested rules for the unusual tanks like the Char B and one man turrets in the Summer Special.

John

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Fri May 18, 2018 7:38 am

I wonder if it will include limited traverse for the Grant/Lee main gun?
Or indeed 2 guns?

Wulf

Post by Wulf » Fri May 18, 2018 10:14 am

Truscott Trotter wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 7:38 am
I wonder if it will include limited traverse for the Grant/Lee main gun?
Or indeed 2 guns?
Possibly different attack factors in different arcs - higher in the forward arc. Generally speaking the tank will only engage one target at a time - that was the case with the T-35 rules in CoC, and it's pretty realistic. Having the gunner do his own thing with the hull gun while the commander directs the turret would be possible, but I doubt it was done that way.

Wulf

Post by Wulf » Fri May 18, 2018 10:29 am

Truscott Trotter wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 10:52 pm
You could make it that the TC can only do two different things in a turn apart from drive
I just say the tank can do 3 different things in total - even driving needs commander direction for safety. How does the driver know when he's about to enter an enemy line of fire, or fall off a cliff he can't see because of the extremely restricted visibility from the driver's position?

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Fri May 18, 2018 10:57 am

What I meant was 2 things plus drive - so 3 in total as long as one of them is a drive
Reason for this is the driver can be controlled by kicking his shoulders as was often the case in non-German/US tanks

Wulf

Post by Wulf » Fri May 18, 2018 12:50 pm

Truscott Trotter wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 10:57 am
What I meant was 2 things plus drive - so 3 in total as long as one of them is a drive
Reason for this is the driver can be controlled by kicking his shoulders as was often the case in non-German/US tanks
I disagree. There's no real reason why the commander can't load, aim & fire, he's just going to be too busy to direct anyone else, or even look anywhere outside the tank other than through the gunsight! If he's also the gunner, directing the driver safely is going to be a bit difficult if he's aiming off the line of travel...