Points value of an Ace?

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Cerebus

Points value of an Ace?

Post by Cerebus » Wed May 16, 2018 8:06 pm

Hi,

The tanker table give points values for each of the AFV's in the game, but how many points should you add if the driver is an Ace? Or indeed for each Tanker Deck card owned?

Archdukek

Re: Points value of an Ace?

Post by Archdukek » Wed May 16, 2018 9:03 pm

Personally I wouldn't look to the point system to balance these elements, it's more a matter for the scenario design and will probably need a bit of trial and error.

John

Greg Bradfield

Post by Greg Bradfield » Thu May 17, 2018 9:15 am

Ace status is obtained by the crew as a whole not individual crew members.

The points are there to balance out scenarios e.g. 1x Tiger VI Tiger 1 has a points value of 21 so you could have it go up against 2x M4 Sherman 75mm of 12 points each giving you a 21 to 24 points game. Favoring the Shermans.
You could take 2x Panzer IV F2-G giving 24 points against 2x M4 Sherman 75mm giving 24 points for a balanced game.

Cerebus

Post by Cerebus » Thu May 17, 2018 7:09 pm

Yeah I understand the points values for the tanks Greg, that's not what I'm asking. My question is how many points is an Ace crew worth. A Tiger 1 vs a Tiger 1 is a fair fight, but a Tiger 1 vs a Tiger 1 with an Ace crew will favour the Ace. But by how much? How many points is it worth? What tank being added to the Green Tiger side would balance things up?

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Thu May 17, 2018 7:27 pm

I thought the Ace thing was part of a campaign or ongoing league so no need for points?

If you want to add it into a one off game then you are going to have to make up a value for yourselves by trial and error.

Start with 3 or 5 pts and see how you go or make it a % increase say 15% rounded up?

Cerebus

Post by Cerebus » Fri May 18, 2018 10:47 am

You're right, I think I am going to have to do it myself. I thought somebody might have an idea of how much an Ace is worth, but never mind. I will hold everyone responsible when my 11 year old throws a hissy fit as his Kingtiger with Ace crew is minced by whatever tanks I throw on the field as an experiment! :lol: ( we haven't played any of the campaign yet, he just wants to start off as the most powerful thing he can find).

I will start off with your suggestion though TT and see how we go.

Greg Bradfield

Post by Greg Bradfield » Fri May 18, 2018 10:59 am

Cerebus,

If you are an Ace you are entitled to 5 random cards or 2 of your choice and 1 random, this in itself should give your crew the edge above any other crew. Even if your crew is not yet Ace status but have a few kills under their belt they should have an advantage by having these cards they have drawn or chosen. Therefore I don't understand why you want to bring points into it.

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Fri May 18, 2018 11:00 am

I sincerely hope you are shooting his KT up the rear with a Stuart......will teach him valuable life skills......erm maybe :o :roll: 8-)

Cerebus

Post by Cerebus » Fri May 18, 2018 3:24 pm

Greg Bradfield wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 10:59 am
Cerebus,

If you are an Ace you are entitled to 5 random cards or 2 of your choice and 1 random, this in itself should give your crew the edge above any other crew. Even if your crew is not yet Ace status but have a few kills under their belt they should have an advantage by having these cards they have drawn or chosen. Therefore I don't understand why you want to bring points into it.
I'd have thought it was fairly obvious. So that I can balance a game where a high level tank with Ace status fights against several low level "green" tanks. If Ace status is worth 1 point then no extra tanks are needed, if Ace status is worth 20 points then I can field an extra 2 x 10 point tanks.
Truscott Trotter wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 11:00 am
I sincerely hope you are shooting his KT up the rear with a Stuart......will teach him valuable life skills......erm maybe :o :roll: 8-)
Shh. Don't tip him off. :twisted: Mind you, in the game we played with some friends of mine (average age of the 4 oldies..about 50), he wiped the floor with us.

Cerebus

Post by Cerebus » Sat May 19, 2018 7:05 pm

Ok, for anybody interested we tried out a KT with 5 cards and Ace ability against 3 Sherman M4's today. According to the points that's 26 against 36, not taking into account the cards and Ace ability.

The KT was a monster. We played with reserve Sherman's coming on after a team mate was killed so as to keep the pressure on the KT, however it wiped the floor with them. It racked up 5 kills with no damage taken at all before I decided I'd had enough and sent the lad off to hoover the house as punishment for humiliating his dad :lol: Dice rolls were fairly even and the only real slice of luck it had was when a Sherman got in behind it, needing a 4 to hit and rolled 2 1's! :x My tactics seemed sound, spread the Sherman's out so as to force it to keep spinning the turret and aim for flank and rear shots. Use cover etc etc. Didn't make a difference.

Only one card was used by the KT so the advantage given by them can't really be determined, however the Ace ability (changing any one command dice to any other command dice) was HUGE, especially when coupled with natural 6's. So for a points value for the Ace ability I would say at least 10. (yep only one game but its a start).However I need to try the same game without the Ace and cards.