Couple of questions about Halftracks

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

moortz

Couple of questions about Halftracks

Post by moortz » Wed May 16, 2018 1:59 pm

Accoring to the rulebook, I can use an LMG team to fire at an armoured vehicle (like a halftrack). Although I cannot damage it, the text says for the armoured vehicle to roll it's armour saves, and if it gets no saves, to treat that as a 0 net hits result on the retrospective table. Is there a requirement for the LMG team to roll to hit first?

Secondly, using grenades on halftracks - with a -4 roll on 2D6 to 'hit', but I must be 4" away, am I right in thinking that I need to be quite lucky to get a halftrack to stop within 5 or 6" of my team in order to attack it with grenades and have a reasonable (i.e 10/11/12) chance of hitting it? Or can a team or section move to a desired location (or distance) and chuck their grenades (if their leader has enough CI points?)

Equally, if I did manage to chuck a 'nade in a halftrack, the 3d6 rolled I need 4's 5's or 6's for hits on the 'net hits' table - is that a straight roll, no armour saves? Also, what about the occupants of the Halftrack? Are they simply treated like the net hits table describes, or do they take hits/shock as well - or is it the same 3d6 roll, just counting 4+'s as hits on the vehicle as well.

Lastly, if I was to take Gammon bombs, although these live on the 'anti tank weapons' table, surely these are thrown and not placed - are these simply treated like normal grenades (2d6 hit on more than distance) without the '-4' for getting them 'in' the halftrack (as they explode on contact), or are these 'placed' as per other anti tank devices, by a single 'team' or man moving 2D6" and placing the device, move 1d6 and then resolve an AP attack of 8 dice with any relevant armour save?

Asking for a friend. :)

Seret

Re: Couple of questions about Halftracks

Post by Seret » Wed May 16, 2018 2:26 pm

moortz wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 1:59 pm
Accoring to the rulebook, I can use an LMG team to fire at an armoured vehicle (like a halftrack). Although I cannot damage it, the text says for the armoured vehicle to roll it's armour saves, and if it gets no saves, to treat that as a 0 net hits result on the retrospective table. Is there a requirement for the LMG team to roll to hit first?
Nope, half tracks are big enough that even Mr Magoo could get enough rounds on-target at the kind of ranges a CoC table represents.
Secondly, using grenades on halftracks - with a -4 roll on 2D6 to 'hit', but I must be 4" away, am I right in thinking that I need to be quite lucky to get a halftrack to stop within 5 or 6" of my team in order to attack it with grenades and have a reasonable (i.e 10/11/12) chance of hitting it? Or can a team or section move to a desired location (or distance) and chuck their grenades (if their leader has enough CI points?)
You don't have to be 4" away, that's only when you're chucking them in the open. If you're posting grenades through windows, into bunkers, trenches, or AFVS, etc then you can get as close as you like.
Equally, if I did manage to chuck a 'nade in a halftrack, the 3d6 rolled I need 4's 5's or 6's for hits on the 'net hits' table - is that a straight roll, no armour saves? Also, what about the occupants of the Halftrack? Are they simply treated like the net hits table describes, or do they take hits/shock as well - or is it the same 3d6 roll, just counting 4+'s as hits on the vehicle as well.
The passengers take 3 automatic hits, as if in the open. You also roll 3d6 for damage to the vehicle. You could roll those separately or count it as one roll if you like.
Lastly, if I was to take Gammon bombs, although these live on the 'anti tank weapons' table, surely these are thrown and not placed - are these simply treated like normal grenades (2d6 hit on more than distance) without the '-4' for getting them 'in' the halftrack (as they explode on contact), or are these 'placed' as per other anti tank devices, by a single 'team' or man moving 2D6" and placing the device, move 1d6 and then resolve an AP attack of 8 dice with any relevant armour save?
Well, the normal procedure for attacking with a handheld anti-tank weapon is to roll 2d6 to see if the man reaches the vehicle. I suppose in the case of molotovs or Gammon bombs you could take that to be a throw instead of a run. If you roll high enough, you've reached the target with your throw/dash.

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Wed May 16, 2018 11:53 pm

Or can a team or section move to a desired location (or distance) and chuck their grenades (if their leader has enough CI points?)
Sure can

Lastly, if I was to take Gammon bombs, although these live on the 'anti tank weapons' table, surely these are thrown and not placed
Specifications
Weight 340 grams (empty)
Filling Typically composition C
Filling weight Variable: up to 900 grams
Detonation
mechanism
Instantaneously, on impact with the target
so yes it could be thrown but if you fill a sock with 1kg of sand and try and throw it I reckon you would not get too far unless you were an Olympic shot putter.
the only first hand account I read at Arnhem talked about dropping them out of the first floor window into a half track

moortz

Post by moortz » Thu May 17, 2018 8:24 am

Good point :D I'm playing the second scenario of Kampfgruppe von Luck tonight, and I'm expecting to see a Unic P107 HT or a Schlepper trundling up the road at some point, my PIAT still hasn't turned up (although he might tonight, we'll roll for that before the game) so I was wondering how I could stop (or at least threaten to stop) the Germans using vehicles up the road.

So, if I'm reading the rules correctly, for normal grenades, would it be acceptible for a JL or SL attached to a section to use 2 CI's to order 1 man to detach from the section, and then for him to run towards a vehicle and attempt to chuck a grenade in the compartment. If this was a Gammon bomb however, the man would have to run towards the vehicle (2D6 inches) and get next to it, plant the bomb and then have a free 1D6 move away.

That main road (La Rue de Colonel Fabian) is a sunken lane, so I was thinking we would play that as no visibility from the road to the fields, and only visibility from the top of the banks into the lane if you are right next to it, so I think any infantry will need to be within 1" or so of the road in order to chuck grenades anyway.

In an ideal world, if the section themselves were within 6" or so of the vehicle, they could be ordered to throw 2 (or 3 with the SL) grenades at the vehicle.

However, we could also use a bren team to try and dissuade the HT's and Schlepper to stop first, and then attack them with grenades.

We treat the Schlepper like an SPG with regards to hits table don't we? Although it's open topped?

Looking forward to it tonight, it's a tough campaign to start with for the Brits. I've been inspired by some of the AAR's I've read from the esteemed members however, and I've got a good plan for this scenario tonight in the hope I can put some hurt on the Germans - maybe not stop them, but certainly put a dent in their plans.

Thanks for all the assistance.

redmist1122

Post by redmist1122 » Fri May 18, 2018 1:23 am

I would bank good money on the Lorraine Schlepper...that damn thing gives a nice punch!
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA

Seret

Post by Seret » Fri May 18, 2018 7:46 am

Your best weapon against the 15cm Lorraine Schlepper beastie is your 2" mortar, and/or roadblocks depending on the map.

It's got tinfoil armour and an open top, so the German player won't be wanting to get up close with it. He'll stay as far down the back and lob pain at any of the paras who pop up. The sunken lanes on a couple of maps means he can do this from a hull down position Consider staying out of buildings as they're HE magnets, and he can spot them from a mile away. On maps with high walls you can use roadblocks to deny access to certain roads, and IIRC he's a bit stuffed because the Germans don't have any demolition teams.

The 2" mortar can block his lines of sight, forcing the Schlepper to move. This means he's only shooting half the time he's activating, or less. I played as the Germans in that campaign and never lost a Schlepper because it was fairly easy to keep it out of effective PIAT range (which means it's also waaaaaaaaay out of Gammon bomb range), but the bloody smoke mortar was a constant annoyance. So take two!

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Fri May 18, 2018 7:53 am

If you look at a picture of a Schlepper in action it SHOULD be vulnerable to snipers :o :lol:

moortz

Post by moortz » Fri May 18, 2018 8:37 am

No Schleppers last night, but there was a couple of Halftracks. no 2" mortar or PIAT team for the Paras (they have still not turned up from the drop :evil: ) but I knew I'd have some vehicles to face so took a PIAT on the support list. It was pretty good actually, (once it had deployed) and managed to destroy a Halftrack that had driven up to my roadblock - unfortunately it had already disgorged a section of panzergrenadiers.

I'd had a chance to chuck some grenades in the back of one of the halftracks but I would have been exposing a unit to those lmgs, and as it's only Scenario 2 I withdrew after taking the HT and a german out.

It was a good, tactical game ('ill write it up on my blog later on) and we're really enjoying the campaign aspect - where perhaps in the past we would have played on and fought on losing men on both sides, it really makes you think about the nature of leadership and knowing when to 'fold 'em' and when to 'hold 'em'. :lol:

Of course the Germans have got loads of men still, so no one is worried over that side yet, but the Paras strength is building and I'm hoping I can give them a bloody nose in the next scenario - where I am absolutely certain we'll see a Schlepper.